What's The Best Size Picture??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Randy_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

I have your run of the mill, average, everyday computer and monitor and set the resolution at 800x600 cause these tired old eyes need a little bigger text. Well, one of my pet peeves is the posting of pictures that are so large that they screw up the display and require me to scroll left and right to be able to read a message or see a picture in its entirety!! This is a problem to some greater or lesser extent at every board that I visit; but is a particular headache here because there so many photos posted!! From what I hear, there many members who suffer this same annoyance; but just never bothered to comment.

Anyway, this afternoon, I did a series of test postings to see how different sized photos(or scans) would display and what the best size picture would be to eliminate (or at least minimize) the problem. From the results of those test postings and the comments of a few who viewed the tests, it seems the best picture size id 600 pixels x whatever.....picture width is the real problem here. Posted below is a picture that is 600 pixels wide so you can see what this size looks like. This picture was originally 800 pixels wide. I resized it to 600. I'm sure some of you will recognize this one as being Ken Nelson's picture of his "FREEDOM PEN."

20052255818_Kallenshaan_600.jpg

Here is another picture set to demonstrate. This set is one of BB's pictures from Arizona Silhouette.....the same "FREEDOM PEN." The smaller(original) picture is 450 pixels wide and the larger is the same pictured resized to 600 pixels. You my be able to tell that the picture quality decreases a bit in the larger picture.
20052262131_AS_400.jpg

20052264244_AS_600.jpg

With the above in mind, I would ask all poster of pictures to please give serious consideratiion to downsizing your pictures to a width of 600 pixels. As Gary pointed out in the "TEST" thread, one common photo format is 640x480. That size is pretty close to ideal and does not cause a big problem.....I would say that if you shoot your pictures at that format, go ahead and post them at 100%......they will be OK. But if you shoot at 1600x1200 or some other large format, please down size your pictures. Thanks!!

If you would like to post a larger picture to show details, you could go up to a photo that is 750 pixels wide. I will have to show a sample of a 750 pixel picture in another post as it will throw off this thread if I post it here. See post entitled "750 PIXEL PICTURE"

woodpens

I keep my resolution higher than you do, but I agree that a max of 600 pixels wide is plenty. This picture is 600 pixeks wide and I had to increase compression to 20% to get it under 90kb.
200522111227_nta06a.jpg
<br />

tipusnr

While all the computers I use have the displays set higher than 480 x 600, I have no problem seeing detail in the above "600" pictures therefor no arguement against conforming. The problem will be ensuring clarity and crispness in the reconfigured pictures. But I will work it out from my end. I know that many of the photo editing packaged have great capabilities in these areas but my pens are the only graphics I use and I am not going to spend pen money on software.

In the end I support any change (or guideline) that makes this forum more useful to the majority of it's members.

opfoto

I agree with the need to keep images within the 480-640 pixel range. While I am a firm believer in shooting a picture no matter the subject with the highest resolution possible. At the cost of higher priced memory sticks I feel that the detail is much better esp when/if there is the need to resize it. My thought is if the quality of the original image is of such poor quality so will any attempt be at resizing. Especially with software mentioned in other threads that make the task so easy. Besides I usually download pics from camera to computer quicker than finishing a roll of film and getting it to the lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom