What's in your "someday" pile?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

If you're like me at all, you have some really special woods or materials in your shop that you got and put on a shelf or in a pile to make "someday" when all the planets align. What are they???

I started my pile when I placed my first few orders with Arizona Silhouette and Bill threw in some special pieces for me. Since then, I've collected hundreds of stabilized "purdy" woods that I'm saving for special occasions. But the nicest things I'm saving have to be a couple of pieces I got at the 2008 AAW National Symposium: one's a fantastic bright 3"x3"x12" spindle of curly pink ivory and the most amazing natural edge hunk of 7.2 lb. amboyna burl. I want to make some pens out of these pieces but I just can't bring myself to cut them!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

one's a fantastic bright 3"x3"x12" spindle of curly pink ivory and the most amazing natural edge hunk of 7.2 lb. amboyna burl

Sounds like you met Rocky. He has stolen a lot of my money over the years :wink:

Included in my someday pile is a piece of curly macassar ebony.

randyrls

If you're like me at all, you have some really special woods or materials in your shop that you got and put on a shelf or in a pile to make "someday" when all the planets align. What are they???

I have a few burl cocobolo pieces that I got from a local lumber yard. They didn't want it because it couldn't be cut into lumber because of the wild grain!

alphageek

Former Moderator
I have a few burl cocobolo pieces that I got from a local lumber yard. They didn't want it because it couldn't be cut into lumber because of the wild grain!

Holy cow - I'd become their best friend with that theory!

As for what on my someday pile... I havn't managed to collect anything superspecial... My someday 'pile' is more a collection of things to try based on what I see here on IAP!

Rudy Vey

I started my pile when I placed my first few orders with Arizona Silhouette and Bill threw in some special pieces for me. Since then, I've collected hundreds of stabilized "purdy" woods that I'm saving for special occasions. But the nicest things I'm saving have to be a couple of pieces I got at the 2008 AAW National Symposium: one's a fantastic bright 3"x3"x12" spindle of curly pink ivory and the most amazing natural edge hunk of 7.2 lb. amboyna burl. I want to make some pens out of these pieces but I just can't bring myself to cut them!!!!!
If you are afraid to cut them, send them to me, I can cut them up for us:biggrin:

CaptG

113 pound Oak burl that should be just about dry enough to cut. Brian, if you can't bring yourself to cut those pieces, send em to me. I'll cut em up for ya, probably only loose a couple pounds of that burl, you know how that goes, trust me, lol.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I've got a 100 lb log sitting on the stairs to the shop. It's Japanese Chestnut?
Too big for the bandsaw, need to fix the chainsaw, no sledge or maul here.

I've also got what's left of a beautiful piece of chechem. I keep cutting it
into blanks for my 'someday' pile, but I seem to give it away or trade it.
It is gorgeous, but I can't seem to find any more. (at least not the stuff
that doesn't look like bleached out walnut.. this looks more like morado or
kingwood only it must have batteries in it; the chatoyance is so high)

Still got a few pieces of a nice buckeye burl and dyed box elder that are
just waiting for a worthy kit. And lots of larger blanks I'll cut up when and if
I find something exciting enough to use them..

Lulanrt

I have been collecting wood and cutting them into pen blanks for about 5 years. When I find that perfect piece I throw it into a large shipping trunk. The trunk is full so I am not sure I will ever get to all of them but some I have in the back of my mind smoke tree burl and bog oak burl.
Travis

Robert Taylor

i'm into trying the "different". heard rumors of a dryer lint pen once. got an idea a a way to bring it to fruition in the near future. also love the recent pine cone click. got a cone like the large one in his pics. trying to reason out how to start on it. not casting as of yet so these ideas seem tough to me, but i'm on it.

Top Bottom