What your favorite pen style?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bajacrazy

Curious to know everybody’s favorite pen style and why[?] Also what is the most popular pen style with your clients or what’s your best seller[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

My personal favorite would be a Statesman in Rhodium & Black Ti FP. This pen is like having a billboard for your favorite piece of wood. & it is a very comfortable writing pen, my secound choice wood be the Ligero platinum FP.

As for what I sell most, Statesman Jr & Gent Jr roller balls in platinum, followed by the Statesman. Anthony

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I would have to say that the Cigar and Perfect Fit Convertables are my best selling, followed by the 10K Executive in both rollerball and fountain pen....
My personal carry set is the Perfect Fit Convertable...
I recently turned some new Atlas kits and they feel real nice in the hand... am going to get some Baron kits next.. they look real sweet..

G

Perfect fit also.
The concept is nice for a matching set with no hassels.
I too like the cigar because of the size it shows a lot of the medium be it wood ,antler ,or corn cob.
I must say though I sell more PF's,just wish other suppliers(than Berea) would make a similar design.

woodpens

My favorites are the Jr Statesman, the Baron and the Jr Gentleman. The size and excellent quality are hard to beat. heck, their even easy to make! [:)]

G

I thought I had wanted to include a roller ball so I picked up the streamline from Berea(big mistake,doesn't fit the mandrel properly),any way the roller balls do not lend themselves well for customization of shapes without having to wind up with the "wasp waist"( don't care for wasp waists)

bajacrazy

Thanks for all your replies. I’ve been stuck making slim lines for so long only because we have so many solid surface scraps.[:(]
After seeing so many beautiful wood pen’s in many different styles, I’ve be purchasing wood like crazy as well pen styles.[:)]
Thought I would ask for some opinions as to what seems to work well and what sells.
I like the European’s, Mini European’s, Statesman Jr., and Statesman. So bought some of each in different materials. Now after seeing two separate post of the Baron I want to get some.

G

If you can perfect a gluing technique that would allow you to lam up those scraps you wind up with a thicker blank.
I've done a couple but I don't have much luck getting an invisable glue line with it.

dw

My favourite style is the closed body "Mont Blanc" in a roller ball or fountain pen.

The trouble is that the only outfit that currently makes a "European" style FP or RB is not my favourite kitmaker. And, at least one reason is that the threads on this style pen will not keep the cap on reliably. The threading is too coarse on both cap and nib--they don't "mesh" well enough to tighten. I've had caps come loose and the ink leak out all over. In order to correct that problem I've had to coat the threads with beeswax.

It's attention to detail...both technically and customer service-wise...that makes or breaks a product, as far as I'm concerned.

20051215588_DSC00871_2.jpg

William Young

I like the fancier styles of pens best myself but with all the neat variations that can be done with the good old slimline I find that they sell 20 to 1 over anything else in my particular area mostly because of them being the lowest priced ones. One must take into consideration the location they are selling them in. Where I live, over 65% of the population are retired seniors and many with only government seniors pension to live on just like myself. It is my woodworking that helps give me the quality of life that others dont have if they dont have a money making hobby or sideline as a supplement. My fretwork clocks and portraits in wood and other small lathe turnings are 90% of my total sales. Pens for me are just a small part of my wide variety of wooworking projects
I live in a high traffic tourist area which is best in the summer months so that is when I make sure to have a variety of the higher priced pens on hand .
Goldentouch said it right. The favorite one is the one the customer likes. All I can add to that is " also the one the customer can afford"

I beleive if I lived in a big city where there was a more upscale clientel, I would get into the higher priced pens because after all it is so much easier to make pens than most of the other products I make.
W.Y.

jkirkb94

My favorite and most made is the European style. Thanks to Bill I have been doing a lot of the cigar but some people do not like the weight. I also like the Jr Gent. and should like the Baron ( should get my order in the next day or two). Kirk[8D]

Randy_

DW:

Berea and PSI both have Europan pens in their catalog and there may be other sources as well. Not sure where your pen came from; but it kinda looks like a Berea??

vick

My favorite is the Jr. Gentlemans however it has not sold well for me. The Americana rollerball and Americana Double twist ball point have sold best.

wayneis

Randy DW is hinting at Berea, they are the only company that makes european rollerball and fountain pen kits. All the other euro kits are ballpoint and won't work for the pen that he designed. Berea, like every company has its share of inidividuals that don't care for them or have some kind of a problem with them. So far I have not had a problem with Berea that they wern't willing to fix to my satisfaction. So far in the year that I've been turning pens I have only had one Company that gave me a runaround but it was not important enough to make a difference.

Wayne

Randy_

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />.....hinting at Berea, they are the only company that makes european rollerball and fountain pen kits......
Like I said before, check out PSI. They are not the highest quality kits; but they are an alternative!!

dw

Randy, Wayne,

I know that PSI makes a Euro FP. And I've never really had a problem with either their kits or their committment to the customer. In fact, they've always gone out of their way to accommodate me. But like you say, sometimes they come up short in quality. Not "deliberately" if you know what I mean but they just don't have the better finishes, such as titanium and platinum, etc..

If CSUSA had a good screw cap Euro in FP and RB, I believe I'd buy all my kits from them. (Or the same kits from BB.) They've always gone out of their way for me; always shipped promptly; never made promises they couldn't keep; never once made an excuse or left me hanging...waiting on a shipment that wasn't going to come because it was <b>never</b> shipped.

And their kits are well thought out and designed with attention to detail in every aspect--they don't just look good, they function good, too. Take the way that the caps screw onto the Gents and Jr. Gents--it's solid engineering. That attitude permeates all the way down to their bushings...they're chrome plated! You're not gonna get any iron staining the wood from over-zealous sanding. That's what I'm talking about!

wayneis

Although I do a lot of the Jr. Gent and Jr. Statesman, I still like the El Grande's and Perfect Fit Convertable. When it comes right down to it I have probably sold more Flat Top American Style pens than any of the others. Quite a few of my customers like to have their initials or some logo related to their business in the end cap of the pen.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom