What would i need to cast Alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RyanNJ

I have seen how nice the alumilite blanks posted on here look, i was able to get one when it was in the classifieds and now i am struggling to find more.

I was wondering what the minimum i would need to cast alumilite blanks would be and where to get the stuff because i have never casted before.

I read the how-to in the library which is very good but i am not sure if it is the same with alumilite

Is there anyone in New Jersey/ Philly Area that casts blanks that would be able to show me the process before i decide to take the plunge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I just sent you a PM with my phone number. It would be much easier for me to tell you everything by phone rather than typing it all out!!

Paladin

Needs...

I have seen how nice the alumilite blanks posted on here look, i was able to get one when it was in the classifieds and now i am struggling to find more.

I was wondering what the minimum i would need to cast alumilite blanks would be and where to get the stuff because i have never casted before.

I read the how-to in the library which is very good but i am not sure if it is the same with alumilite

Is there anyone in New Jersey/ Philly Area that casts blanks that would be able to show me the process before i decide to take the plunge

PM me, I have a Harbor Freight pressure pot I can sell you for a good price.

Marc Ward
Brookfield, WI

Craftdiggity

Not to hijack the thread, but is Alumilite much different to cast than PR? I've been working with Simlar for the past week or so and I've not needed a pressure pot. Is this a necessary item for Alumilite?

PTownSubbie

Not to hijack the thread, but is Alumilite much different to cast than PR? I've been working with Simlar for the past week or so and I've not needed a pressure pot. Is this a necessary item for Alumilite?

I am not the expert so take this for what it cost you...

I have casted a few alumilite blanks and it cures much much faster than PR. Therefore if you have any bubbles in your pour, they don't have time to escape producing tiny air bubble voids in your cast. If you have a pressure pot, these tiny air bubbles are not allowed to form during or after the pour.

To me, the only reason you would need a pressure pot would be if you are casting in voids such as worthless wood and such. Just my 2 cents...

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Yes, Alumilite is much different than PR. Totally different chemistry. As Fred said, if you are doing solid colors and don't mind some tiny champagne bubbles, then you do not need a pressure pot for Alumilite.

Silly Rabbit

I just picked up a CA Technologies 2.5 gallon pressure pot. I hope that it will be big enough (tall enough). It arrives on Friday, looking forward to it.

Wasn't cheap though.

PTownSubbie

what PSI should i cast at once i get my pressure pot?

also is there a way to get a solid non transparent color when dye is added?

You will get a bunch of different answers about what pressure to cast at. That is something that you need to figure out on your own. I personnally cast at high pressures when I use both PR and Alumilite but I also understand the dangers and take some precautions to try to offset these dangers.

As far as dyes, the Alumilite dyes work best for Alumilite but many others use a bunch of different materials. I am sure you will get a bunch of replies for this also.

RyanNJ

If want to make a blank like this:
DSCF3232.jpg

would i use alumilite crystal clear or a different product

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
If you want to make a blank like that, then use the White Alumilite instead of the clear. That goes for any blank that you want to make completely opaque. You can add however much dye you want to get the colors you want and it will always be opaque.

ldb2000

getting closer to casting....
I have a devilbiss pressure pot
I will be ordering my alumilite tomorrow

Still looking for the 15x20 cutting board

Try some of the dollar stores in your area . I picked up a couple in the Dollar Tree store . They were in the section with the kitchen stuff . They aren't 15X20 though they were 12X18 but at $1.00 each you can pick up several and cut what you need from them .

PTownSubbie

Is it better to start with the 32oz size or jump right in an go for 2 gallons

That depends on your desire... If you are sure casting is for you, you get the best deal with the more quantity you buy.

I would also check the expiration or shelf life before you buy more than you can use and it goes bad...If it goes bad

Top Bottom