what will CA do to?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrewsignore

What will ca do to oil based paint? if i painted something on a pen blank and sealed it with ca would it smudge the paint. almost like putting clear coat over the paint. Any thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bradh

I think it depends on the paint.
I tried CA over spray can paint and the CA attacked the paint. The paint cracked and shriveled up. It looked kind of cool, but it was not the look I was trying to get. I ended up switching to a poly coating to seal the painted pen.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Test test test.

Put some of the paint used on the blank on a scrap and give it a try.

I agree, completely.

Also make good notes of ALL pertinent information: how long you allowed it to dry (or cure), what was the ambient temp and humidity. Be certain you prepare all surfaces as you will on the "real thing": If it will cover a surface that has been drilled, drill a hole in the SAME material. There is less air flow in a hole, did you put the test next to a light bulb to assist in drying? Note that.

Just a few of the variables that can affect your outcome---specificity is important!!

toddlajoie

If hitting it with CA right off doesn't work, maybe try a coat of hobby spray sealant or something. No idea if it will react to the CA also, but if it doesn't, it might protect the paint enough to get a coat on and dry, then subsequent coats should be fine...

frankhp

I've used Ca over a wax free shellac and it worked. It might be the perfect sealer for the paint. Might be worth a try

Top Bottom