What went wrong????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevers

This is related to my other topic, "OK, here I go, wish me luck,". The first time I tried to de-gas the clear, this happened,,,,,,,,,

20078435013_first%20cast%204%20600.jpg

And it only took about 15 minutes to gel. I mixed it for 2 or 3 minutes and put it in the pot under 26" of vacuum. Here are some things of interest,,,,,,

>>High humidity, with evaporative cooler in shop, probably 60 to 70 percent,
>>Warm resin, maybe 100 to 110 degrees,
>>Thought I had 3 drops per oz. Used 21 to 23 drops for 7 oz.
>>MEKP from A different brand of resin,

So what do you experts think? The second try seems to be working better. Tried to lighten up on the MEKP, 20 drops per 7 oz. The blue mix was still liquid when I opened the tank to add the clear(with the worthless wood blanks) and pressurize.

PS: forgot to mention, Mr. Fiberglass Silmer 41,
and I just went out to check, the round "chunk" is so hot I can barley touch it.

smoky10

Steve, I'm no expert at this but i put just the catalyst(if thats the right word) in the vacuum. I don't mix the the hardener in until after I have used the vacuum. With that temperature and what you call high, ours usually runs 80 or 90 percent, humidity it will set up quicker. Like I said, I'm no expert but I'm sure some of the guys that do this all the time will jump in here soon.

mrplace

Steve, I use 15-20 drops for 6-7 ounces that get poured in to 3/4" pvc molds. These are thinner casts and do not generate as much heat. So mine takes much more time to set up. Pouring in a bowl, making thicker molds, will get hot and set alot quicker. I notice a big differene just from 3/4" molds to 1" molds. So the larger your molds, the less I would use. Another note, the hotter they get, the more brittle they will be.

How did your blanks turn out? They looked more like reasonable pours than the bowl did.

stevers

The bowl was just a mixing cup. It was to go into the mold with the worthless wood next.
am going out real soon to check on the others. Will let you all know in a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom