what type of wood is this

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

Helping the neighbors cut down a tree, and I am not sure what type of wood it is. Is it Ironwood?

The wood seems to be very heavy. The leaves are long thin leaves with yellow flowers. I dont have any pictures of the leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_2870.jpg
    IMG_2870.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jclark58

Not Desert Ironwood. Desert Ironwood has purple flowers. It's probably one of the Acacias, possibly Shoestring Acacia. Can you post a picture of the bark?

Jason

jimbob91577

The wood looks an awful lot like Walnut, but without seeing the bark or the leaves, or smelling it, I can't begin to tell you.

The other thing I was thinking it might be, at least in your neck of the woods, was hickory or misquite. However, small yellow flowers eliminates: Pecan, Hickory, Misquite, and Walnut.

What about this: http://www.delange.org/AcaciaShoestring/AcaciaShoestring.htm
JClark wins if this is correct.

robutacion

Well, according to your description (leafs, flowers), I would suggest the Blackwood, which is an Acacia. Black Wattle is a relative, and some people tent to get them confused but, indeed they are 2 different species.

When you're dealing with species like Acacias, with varieties reaching nearly the 1,300 all around the world, the same one tree species will look sightly different depending on where it is growing, add that to the number of varieties and you will go mad trying to identify them correctly!:redface:

PS: some pics of Australian Black Wattle

Cheers
George

Attachments

• PIC00182_(1)_(1)_(1).JPG
    PIC00182_(1)_(1)_(1).JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 106
  • PIC00195_(1)_(1).jpg
    PIC00195_(1)_(1).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 112
  • eBay peaces 003_(1)_(1).jpg
    eBay peaces 003_(1)_(1).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 111
  • eBay peaces 001_(1)_(1).jpg
    eBay peaces 001_(1)_(1).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 117

Fred

It would definitely help in the identification process IF you could post pictures of the bark, leaves, and the flower. A clear and close-up picture of the end of the log will also be of great help.

You just can't have enough information on identifying some of these species ... :cool:

airrat

I think it is the shoestring Acacia. Sorry didnt get the pictures of the bark on earlier. here is the bark and a little branch of leaves.

I don't have the room to keep this. If anyone in the area is interested please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_2872.jpg
    IMG_2872.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2873.jpg
    IMG_2873.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2874.jpg
    IMG_2874.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 140

Fred

I can't ID it as it is like nothing here in GA that I am familiar with.

I bet you one of your city engineers may recognize it since they deal with local tree removal.

Also, if the wood is as interesting as it looks like it can be, then the root ball might hold another source of very interesting character (treasures)... :eek:

jclark58

I picked up these logs from Tom yesterday as he indicated that he doesn't have the time to turn them or room to store them. 5 sections about 2 1/2-3' long and 8-12" diameter. They will be put to good use.

Thanks Tom.

Jason

Top Bottom