What type of glue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

siturner

I am using CA thick to glue my acrylic blanks. They have been chipping when I turn them. I sand my tubes and spread the glue evenly. But there is always a spot that chips and runes the blank....anyone have any ideas...thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sdoerr

My guess is that it is not the glue. Acrylic requires tools to be good and sharp. They have a natural tendency to chip. When I first started turning acrylic I had the same problem. Try sharping your tool prior to turning the acrylic.
Good luck,
Steve

KBs Pensnmore

One thing I have discovered when turning acrylic is to go from the outside in, it seems to give support that way. I do this to wood as well now, virtually eliminated the problem, unless there is not enough glue.:biggrin: Sharp tools are a definite must be.
Kryn

robutacion

One thing I have discovered when turning acrylic is to go from the outside in, it seems to give support that way. I do this to wood as well now, virtually eliminated the problem, unless there is not enough glue.:biggrin: Sharp tools are a definite must be.
Kryn

And that is one of the best habits to have, even poorly glued blanks will have a chance...!

Cheers
George

Odysseos

Before start turning your blank you can sand its corners so you have an "almost round" blank. This substantially reduces thr risk of chipping. Also, from time to time you have to stop turning and hone your tools with a waterstone.

siturner

I do round the corners...it helps..sharper tool...start from the outside in...thanks everybody for the info. I have seen the carbide but not in my budget at this point in time.

bjbear76

Also you might want to try using epoxy instead of CA to glue the tubes. I just recently switched to epoxy and haven't have a single problem since.....acrylic or wood.

MTViper

I agree with BJ. From what I've been told, CA glue requires moisture to dry properly which is available in wood but missing in acrylic. I switched to epoxy and it improved. Then I switched to Barrel Bond from Woodcraft. It's a two part epoxy but it also expands (like Gorilla Glue) to fill gaps. I haven't had a glue failure since I started using it.

ALexG

until you get the grip on turning acrylics use a scraper, will take longer to turn bur you'll get less pressure and not as aggressive as gouge, when is round you can switch to a skew or gouge (light passes)

turncrazy43

Vinny, about the budget for carbide tools. Look at the Carbide Magic turning tools from PSI. They are reasonable and are the perfect length for pen turning.

kovalcik

I am one of the rare ones that never got the hang of carbide for pen turning. I have much better luck with my gouge and skew, but to each his own. Just to reiterate what has already been said, whatever you use, make sure your gouge, scraper, or carbide tool is sharp. (Yes carbide gets dull too. Rotate it to a new edge occasionally.)

Top Bottom