What type of Blank do you think would look good on a Venus pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marker

Hi, I ordered 20 of the Rhodium Venus pen kits from csusa, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what type of blanks to use. Why I ask is because I have never really been good at decorating, or matching things.

I have made pens in the past with tru-stone, and have had people tell me that they thought I should have used a different Finnish, or pen kit with the blank.

so what do you think about these rhodium venus pen kits? I have almost every color of tru-stone, and m3 metal pen blanks. also some burl wood.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

OMG?? 20 holy Crap thats alot of money!... Umm well venus pens are a very nice kit, they will need more than a 3 dollar blank. You may want to try m3 metal, ebonite, trustone, and some nice lucite blanks. Here are some links... feather blanks also, they will be a nice hit with the ladies.

http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Ebonite/

http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/M3-Blanks/

http://www.exoticblanks.com/index.p...ategory_id=45&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=60

http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Marlas-Magic/

el_d

Im not sure about the woods. IMO many of the ladies dont really like the woods. I recently made some using Sapphire blue Lucite. it came out really nice and was very well received.

I go by what my wife says, Reds pinks,blues purples different shades, ribbons.... etc...

Cant go wrong with a Lucite on that pen..... Ive also gotten second looks at Brooks Blanks......

Last edited:

Marker

I ordered these pens when csusa had their 15% off promotion, and I ordered some other pens in order to get the 25% off quantity discount. so all together I got 40% off. the only reason I ordered them was because of the sale, and I figured that I would not be able to get them at this price for another year, so I jumped on it.

I tend to make more high end pens out of trust one rather than wood, just because I have not yet mastered finishing them with ca, and the wax that I use does not always look the best, and sometimes tends to wear off over time.

Do you think that darker martial would be better on these, in order to bring out the crystals ? one time I made a majestic out of white marble trustone, and I had people tell me that they thought that I should have used black, to bring out the crystal, and that the white took away from it.

Last edited:

SDB777

I'm reading this as, your not married? My wife actually has a lot of input into what goes on what(although I sort of sneak up her with it, not straight out asking her).

When I bring the pen portfolio into the wife's work, 90% of the gals there grab something pink-ish....so for me, Eastern Red Cedar has been selling better then any other type of wood(even DesertIronWoodBurl). The one guy that works there, goes for whatever has spalting lines on it.
This test hasn't been applied to the wife's new PR swirly casting yet, but it will!

Sometimes those high dollar blanks aren't the real seller's....although we here will oooo-aaahh over them, we don't generaly buy them from you. After all, look in SOYP and see how many people comment/view a piece of high dollar TruStone, and then compare that to a piece of ERC.....then ask the OP of each topic if they still have the pen shown.

Scott (gotta sell 'em to buy more stuff) B

Brooks803

With Rhodium platings I always lean towards the darker colors, or deep tones of bright colors. Black, Dark blues, greens, reds. I bet even a mustard type yellow could even pull it off!

KnB Polymers

At our shows we have a wood razor display and pr razor display. The women ALWAYS go straight for the woods! LOL! Personally, I like the woods better also, especially burls.

kovalcik

Im not sure about the woods. IMO many of the ladies dont really like the woods. I recently made some using Sapphire blue Lucite. it came out really nice and was very well received.

Maybe it is just around here, but most of my customers are women and my wood pens outsell my PR blank pens 10 to 1. My best sellers are segmented wood pens. Celtic knots seem to go the quickest.

Top Bottom