What tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinker

Which chisel do you use for turning pens. I started using a left and right angled scraper and found it made the sanding much easier. About as good a finish as the skew, but without the catches. I can start the sanding with 400 grit wet paper.
I am betting that most of the accomplished turners use a skew. I am not that accomplished yet.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I use a skew, and love it; I don't consider myself an accomplished turner, and it doesn't take that much practice.

PenWorks

I use several scrapers, but just got a spindle master that I realy like, not sure, but I would still call it a scraper. I use a skew just for a final clean up.

Fred in NC

I use whatever tool fits what I am doing, gouge, skew, at time scrapers, etc. I also use several tools I made myself.

By the way, what is the preference as to tool size?

I have several sized tools, down to the pen making size, but mostly use the larger gouges and skews.

My 'special' tools are all on the small side.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Richard,

The moral of the story is many tools will do the job. Some better than others. The biggest factor is operator efficiency. Use the tool with which YOU are most comfortable. Over time, this may change. There is no substitute for a pen finished with a skew, as Griz does masterfully. However, getting there can be painful. If you can master a gouge (I was taught on a 3/8" gouge), you can approach similar results. In any case, the REAL difference is the sanding grit with which you start the finishing process. The final pen will look the same regardless of the tool used, if it is used proficiently.

SO, DO WHAT YOU LIKE!! It will work.

Have fun and learn good finishing techniques. Great pens can follow.

tinker

Thanks for the replies fellas. I have practiced on turning between centers with a skew and when it is right the finish is awesome, the problem I have is getting it right all the way through. There are other factors involved such as tool rest placement in reference to the work. I just recently learned that I can use the skew with the point down and works very well.
I think I will stay with the angled scrapers for now, they work well for me and as pointed out that is what is important.

goodwood

It takes someone new to think he knows it all. An oval skew which is a new invention to me helped a great deal to learn to use other skews. That old fashioned one was hard till I used the oval and everything works. Harry

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I use three (3) tools for pens - a "Continental" style spindle gouge, an oval skew, and a thin parting tool.

Go to this link for a description of these tools, and follow the links in the menu to the pages where I show how I use them.

http://www.woodturner-russ.com/Pen13.html

dubdrvrkev

I use a few tools. 3/4 roughing to get round a majority of material off then move to small spindle gouge for any shaping. On flatter shapes I'll finsh with the skew to cut down on sanding time, unless I fubar it with a catch. Sometimes I use a scraper if I somehow get my pen out of round, which has only happened on punky stuff where some of it is a lot softer than other parts.
I recently got a Sorby spindle master, which so far I am not real fond of. It leaves a great surface but getting it to actually cut is another story, definately not like the video of it, maybe with practice.

its_virgil

I use a 1" and a 1 1/2" oval skew from start to finish. Rarely use a gouge on pens, sometimes a scraper if the CA finish goes to pot I use a scraper to remove just the CA. but for me the skew is the workhorse.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

PS I hope my ship comes in before my dock rots!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=161-4804

Picture.

An oval skew has rounded edges along the long dimension of the skew. Moves along the tool rest more easily and allows you to control the tool at different approach angles. Recommended.

Also available much cheaper at PSI. Mixed reviews- I like mine (3).

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Actually, I have a Sorby Oval Skew and can't use it for the life of me.... I love my flat skews... but I did modify them per Alan Lacer's instructions... his video should be required watching for anyone wanting to learn to use a skew...

dubdrvrkev

Griz weren't you a fan of the spindle master? I got one and am having heck of a time getting to do much more than put a good burnish on the part.

Dario

Tom,

Care to lend me your Alan Lacer video? I promise to rerturn it with some blanks later [:D]. If you want to unload that oval skew...I'll get it if the price is right [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom