What tool do you think

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I was asked by a customer for the tool that was specificly designed to widen a hole you already drilled. So what tool do you think he was looking for?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I was asked by a customer for the tool that was specificly designed to widen a hole you already drilled. So what tool do you think he was looking for?

Was he looking for a hammer and a chisel?

How about a nail punch?

Oh, wait, maybe a post hole digger?

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Sorry all wrong..He was looking for a spade bit. He told me that is was specifically designed for what he wanted to do. I tried to tell him it wouldn't work but he wouldn't listen. So I learned something new....the wrong use for spade bit.

Charlie_W

Sorry all wrong..He was looking for a spade bit. He told me that is was specifically designed for what he wanted to do. I tried to tell him it wouldn't work but he wouldn't listen. So I learned something new....the wrong use for spade bit.

Dan,
A spade bit works great to widen a hole :eek:
....if you glue a plug in it first!:biggrin:

TurtleTom

A spade bit is designed to drill an original hole, using one to ream out an existing hole is going to throw some vises around. Better use a forstner, they will do it better than the spade bit if work is in vise. If on the lathe, I've never had the nerve to try a spade bit.

Last edited:

SteveJ

Well... it depends on how big the starter hole is. If he had a small starter hole, the spade point would fit in it and the hole would guide the spade bit along the original hole. But going from a 1/2 inch hole to a 3/4 inch hole could be dicey.

KenV

Spade bit does that -- only in very small sizes.

Once it has a set of "flats" it has moved to the "high excitement" and battered board situations.

You need not have to ask how I leaned that ----

Jim Smith

Did you ask him to video the process of widening a hole with a spade bit? It would be a great addition on YouTube of what not to do in the shop. It shouldn't take him more than 1-2 seconds to realize his mistake;)

Jim Smith

Skie_M

Did you ask him to video the process of widening a hole with a spade bit? It would be a great addition on YouTube of what not to do in the shop. It shouldn't take him more than 1-2 seconds to realize his mistake;)

Jim Smith

Oh boy ....

Darwin Awards here we come ...

tbroye

A drill press and spade bit will work if you can clamp the wood down so it can't and start slow. Hand held drill you are in for a thrill even with wood clamped down.

Curly

If you must use a spade bit, (a Forstner type would be my choice) drill through a block of wood clamped over the hole to be enlarged with a drill press. When the bit breaks through the block into the hole below it will be guided by the fresh hole. It should work with a hand drill (with a side handle) using care and strong steady hands.

Paul in OKC

I tried to tell him but he thought he knew...

If a customer ever replies with a similar comment, just tell him that "you agree with him but we'd both be wrong"
My father once told me "never argue with a fool, people might not be able to tell the difference"
Kryn

Never argue with an idiot. They'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Charlie_W

Dan,
I am surprised no one has mentioned spoon bits yet. With these, you can indeed enlarge an existing hole. They are made in different styles and are available for use in both a brace and bit or for machine use.
Lee Valley shows some which are concave while others are flat ground. Most of these have round points which leave a round bottom hole or a hole to match the shape ground on the bit.
Many times, these are used by pipe makers or chair makers.

Google spoon bits and you will see images of different types and also YouTube has some videos.

dogcatcher

Dan,
I am surprised no one has mentioned spoon bits yet. With these, you can indeed enlarge an existing hole. They are made in different styles and are available for use in both a brace and bit or for machine use.
Lee Valley shows some which are concave while others are flat ground. Most of these have round points which leave a round bottom hole or a hole to match the shape ground on the bit.
Many times, these are used by pipe makers or chair makers.

Google spoon bits and you will see images of different types and also YouTube has some videos.

Or make an spoon bit using a spade bit. It will follow pretty close to the previous drilled hole, close enough that any error wouldn't be detected by the eye.

Top Bottom