What toaster oven?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

For those who use a toaster oven regularly for heating molds or doing the final curing for blanks, what do you use. I've killed my 2nd toaster oven from the 2nd hand store, and I think I want something that will last awhile, and have a little larger capacity. I'd like to heat more than 1 of my vertical molds at a time. Plus I'd like it be pretty accurate as far as temp.

A plus would be that I could also use it for powder coating.

If anyone has an oven they like, or a suggestion for something that they think will work, let me know. While I don't have a specific budget, I'd like to keep it reasonable. The powder coating capability is just an option for down the road. So if it adds a lot of expense, I'll pass on that feature for now.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Here's mine - Wal-mart about $50:

rps20150119_193317_188.jpg

thewishman

I kept trying to find one at a thrift store. Decided that I didn't want to worry about a malfunction or a fire (like a friend experienced with one).

I still don't leave it plugged in when I'm not around, but I feel better having an oven with a history I know. Plus it is really big inside.

plantman

Bob; I bought mine at Wall Mart. About $20 with adjustable rack, pan, and timer. I use it for my Polymar Clay and to dry paint. You can also use it to melt HDPC. Whatever you buy, also purchase a manual temp gauge (about $5 at wall Mart) to check the true settings of your oven. Many varrie about 10-50 degrees from the settings on the dial. Jim S

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have a Warring TCO650 and a Black and Decker TO3210SSD. I bought one at Lowes and the other at Target. They were the largest that either place had. One thing to keep in mind...many of the newer ovens do not have a stay on feature and only have a 60 minute timer. That may be fine for you but it you plan to ever do any stabilizing, you will want one that stays on.

79spitfire

I have a 'Good Cooks' from Pennys. It works great and has a 'stay on' feature and was cheap,

BUT, it's not real big it would only hold about 20 blanks at a time.

jttheclockman

I got mine from wally world also. It was dented so I got it for almost nothing. It is quite large and has worked fine for many years now and I powdercoat with it too.

BSea

Bob; I bought mine at Wall Mart. About $20 with adjustable rack, pan, and timer. I use it for my Polymar Clay and to dry paint. You can also use it to melt HDPC. Whatever you buy, also purchase a manual temp gauge (about $5 at wall Mart) to check the true settings of your oven. Many varrie about 10-50 degrees from the settings on the dial. Jim S
That's a good idea. I never used one in the past, but I'm guessing for powder coating & stabilizing, the temp is more critical.

I have a Warring TCO650 and a Black and Decker TO3210SSD. I bought one at Lowes and the other at Target. They were the largest that either place had. One thing to keep in mind...many of the newer ovens do not have a stay on feature and only have a 60 minute timer. That may be fine for you but it you plan to ever do any stabilizing, you will want one that stays on.
One thing I added to my list is a convection feature. Both of these have this. I'll have to make sure it has a stay on feature. My last one only had a 15 minute timer. That wasn't long enough to heat up a mold, so I used the stay on feature and a timer (old Cell phone). But I'll need the stay on feature for powder coating, and maybe stabilizing down the road.

Thanks for the tip!

jttheclockman

That's a good idea. I never used one in the past, but I'm guessing for powder coating & stabilizing, the temp is more critical.

One thing I added to my list is a convection feature. Both of these have this. I'll have to make sure it has a stay on feature. My last one only had a 15 minute timer. That wasn't long enough to heat up a mold, so I used the stay on feature and a timer (old Cell phone). But I'll need the stay on feature for powder coating, and maybe stabilizing down the road.

Thanks for the tip!

Stay on feature is not needed for powder coating. I no nothing about stabilizing. You do want a decent size though.

plantman

Here's mine - Wal-mart about $50:

View attachment 128079
This is the one I ended up buying. It has the convection feature, a 60 minute timer, and a Stay On option. It's plenty big for my purposes.

Thanks to everyone's help!

That's a good one Bob !! You can drill your blanks to the size of the shaft or prongs and let it rotate for even better heat distribution. Jim S

Last edited:

wwneko

I bought the same farberware from walmart today. For those of you with this oven have you checked the temps with a thermometer? On the 150 degree (lowest) setting I'm getting between 230-250 degrees. I'm wondering if i should return it or exchange it. I'd like to get down to 185ish.

jttheclockman

I bought the same farberware from walmart today. For those of you with this oven have you checked the temps with a thermometer? On the 150 degree (lowest) setting I'm getting between 230-250 degrees. I'm wondering if i should return it or exchange it. I'd like to get down to 185ish.

When did you take the reading??? Turn the oven on and let it heat. Let it cycle a time or two. When it clicks off then take a reading. If yours is like mine those dials are not accurate. When I want the lowest setting I just turn the knob and when I hear it click on that is my lowest setting and it is usually below the 150degree mark. Then I adjust from there. I always just go by feel when casting or powdercoating.

wwneko

i left it on for 2 hours and it stayed up around 230. Unfortunately on this oven you cannot turn it below the 150 mark.

BSea

i left it on for 2 hours and it stayed up around 230. Unfortunately on this oven you cannot turn it below the 150 mark.
I took mine back. I didn't use a thermometer, but it was way too hot to use for blanks. I'm thinking mine was on high no matter what temp I set it at. Sorry James, if I'd known you were looking to get one, I'd have warned you off this model.

wwneko

That's fine Bob, just confirms I need to take it back and return it not try my luck on another model. There is a black and decker "wide" that I really like but it's 60$, I think I'm going to try my luck on that one.

TonyL

Hobby Lobby has one and you can buy it with a 40% off coupon. It is more of a hobbyist grade though.

AMACO Polymer Clay and Craft Oven $65 less 40% = $39

It didn't get the best reviews.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The last one linked above for polymer clay does not appear to have a stay on feature, at least based on the what I can see in the pic. If you plan to stabilize wood, you will need one that is able to stay on.

woodtreker

I had issues with the Faberware Toaster oven from Walmart... the temperature gauge did not work and literally caught some blanks on fire... When I returned it to WM the service desk told me that they had had a lot of these returned... I have an Oster now and also a more accurate oven temperature plus I bought a oven thermometer to validate the temp...

guardian_0005

I've tackled this thought before.

Something you might want to consider, if you have welding talents or a friend who does, is fabricating your own oven. Not to long ago I was working on this idea for powder coating. Using the electronics and heating elements from a craigslist buy or parts purchased via ebay. This way you could get the dimensions you want and add fans to circulate air creating very even and consistent heating. If memory serves me I had it around $1,500 on paper. Keep in mind this was for a decent size oven, 4' x 4' x 3'.

EDIT: I remembered this article and got to searching for it. http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2014/09/how-to-build-powder-coating-oven.html#.VO_DGrDQe70. That will be of significant value if you decide to make your own. Probably a much smaller scale though. lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom