What to turn for retirement gifts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Long story short, we were notified at work that as of the end of the year our pension will no longer exist. This means that all employees that are of retirement age or have put in 30 yrs of service are retiring within the next few weeks (including my director).

I would like to make those that I have worked closely with over the years a little something. I have already made pens for most of them over the years and in the case of my director, 4 pens.

I only have the pen mandrel, spur center and live tail stock.

Any thoughts on what I can make for them ?

Thanks in advanced.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

Turn them a nice pen and give it to them with a nice note. Trust me, they will treasure it.

Curt

jttheclockman

Long story short, we were notified at work that as of the end of the year our pension will no longer exist. This means that all employees that are of retirement age or have put in 30 yrs of service are retiring within the next few weeks (including my director).

I would like to make those that I have worked closely with over the years a little something. I have already made pens for most of them over the years and in the case of my director, 4 pens.

I only have the pen mandrel, spur center and live tail stock.

Any thoughts on what I can make for them ?

Thanks in advanced.

Something about this post just does not sit right with me. Are they closing up?? The people on retirement and those that are retiring is there retirement money??? Those that choose to stay if the company is still in operation, are they grandfathered in for years of service of retirement money?? If the answer to all of the above is no then I would turn the biggest stick I could on my lathe and place it where the sun don't shine.

Not sure how this OP post is written. Is this sarcasm or sincerity.

Sorry for the long delay.

I wrote this post in all honestness. I work for an extremely large company that jut post $5 Billion in net profits so we are not hurting. They stated that they are doing this to be in-line with "Market Practices" The way theyare doing it is that if you are within the defined retirement criteria and you retire by the end of the year, you get your lifetime pension (as noted in our handbook). If you do not meet your criteria, there will be no more funding of the pension and what has been put towards pension will accrue interest until we leave the company, at which point you will be give the amount that you have earned (less taxes).

I would like to know who you work for so I can boycott the company.
I wish I could say, but boycotting them would be very hard because "they are everywhere you want to be"

For everyone else:
Thank you for the ideas. I especially like the bat idea. From the feeling that I am getting the only people that like this idea are the stockholders and executive board. I think people are going start bringing pitchforks and clubs to the office.

I showed a couple of items to my wife and her ever optimistic words were "Will they use it? Where will they put them?"

Given those golden words, what is everyone's thoughts on these items?

Apprentice Century Timepiece
BBQ Grilling Jumbo XL Spatula with BBQ Fork Bundle Woodturning Kit (Stainless) Utensil Kits

builtbybill

Sorry for the long delay.

I wrote this post in all honestness. I work for an extremely large company that jut post $5 Billion in net profits so we are not hurting. They stated that they are doing this to be in-line with "Market Practices" The way theyare doing it is that if you are within the defined retirement criteria and you retire by the end of the year, you get your lifetime pension (as noted in our handbook). If you do not meet your criteria, there will be no more funding of the pension and what has been put towards pension will accrue interest until we leave the company, at which point you will be give the amount that you have earned (less taxes).

I would like to know who you work for so I can boycott the company.
I wish I could say, but boycotting them would be very hard because "they are everywhere you want to be"

For everyone else:
Thank you for the ideas. I especially like the bat idea. From the feeling that I am getting the only people that like this idea are the stockholders and executive board. I think people are going start bringing pitchforks and clubs to the office.

I showed a couple of items to my wife and her ever optimistic words were "Will they use it? Where will they put them?"

Given those golden words, what is everyone's thoughts on these items?

Apprentice Century Timepiece
BBQ Grilling Jumbo XL Spatula with BBQ Fork Bundle Woodturning Kit (Stainless) Utensil Kits

So you work for VISA?

Skie_M

I'ld have to say .... an elegant pocketwatch with vintage styling would probably go a long way for a retiring gentleman... Perhaps a purse hangar kit with a watch face embedded in the top would match the style and bling for the ladies, and still be useful?

dogcatcher

Penn State sells pocket watch kits along with watch pendants for the ladies. Or you can go to Klockit and find the same thing there. Not sure on the costs, it has been several years since I made them, but I believe Klockkit was cheaper at that time.

Top Bottom