What the he??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

franka

Every blank i turn has these half moon marks all the way down the blank in a stright line. Two lines 180 as in each side of the blank. Have used different tool and mandrels only thing i have not tryed is a new lathe. I can not sand them out and is in every wood i use what the hell am i missing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Is the tool rest clean? A spot of glue can cause you all kinds of unexpected trouble.

Maybe adjust the height of the rest and try a different angle of holding the tool?

Is the same thing happening when you try other turnings? Or only when making pens?

Pictures might help us understand.

franka

I will try a pic later but may not show up no one sees it untill i point it out. Have trred different rest and height and cutting tools. Centers are not dead on but not off enuff you can see without looking very close and can not get it any better. Just ready to give up. If i turn it fat and try to sand it out still no luck Driving me nuts. Only do pens but have not seen this on anything but wood blanks. i did not see this on my first few pens but may have just missed it.

ELA

What wood are you using? At what angle to the grain is it cut.

Might be a natural feature of the wood.

Last edited:
Top Bottom