What speed for turning Acrylics?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allenworsham

What is a good speed for turning acrylics? I have a Jet Mini and have been running it at 1800 rpm for both wood and acrylics. I have heard some folks say that you should go faster on acrylics to avoid tear out. So what's up with that?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

R2

Generally agree with Ruth. The trouble with too high a speed is the smell and the melting of the shavings which can bind to your chisel or gouge.[:I]
Also depends on the type of acrylic.

doddman70

Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel

I turn all my pens (wood and acrylic) @ 3000 RPM. Fast and light cuts</u> does help avoid blow outs.

Arthur,
Sharp tools will cut the material and not melt it ;).

I do the same i only turn the speed down for sanding and finishing[8D]

allenworsham

Originally posted by doddman70

Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel

I turn all my pens (wood and acrylic) @ 3000 RPM. Fast and light cuts</u> does help avoid blow outs.

Arthur,
Sharp tools will cut the material and not melt it ;).

I do the same i only turn the speed down for sanding and finishing[8D]

So what speed(s) do you use for sanding and/or finishing? I have just kept everything at 1800 except when I do CA (which I am still practicing with and had a perfect one last night) where I turn it down to 500, which is the slowest setting on my lathe.

gerryr

As Lou (DCBluesman) would say about turning speed, "Mach 5 with my hair on fire." I turn everything at the highest speed my Jet Mini can muster which I think is around 3500rpm. For sanding and applying a finish I turn it down to whatever the second slowest speed is. For buffing I run it at about 1800 or whatever the 4th fastest speed is.

Ligget

3500rpm and I start with a sharp roughing gouge to turn off the squared edges and produce a smooth cylinder, move onto a sharp skew to turn the cylinder down to desired diameter and profile still at 3500rpm.[8D]

alphageek

Former Moderator
I have to say after reading the "fast" tip, I had been running my jet at speed 5 of 6 (around 2500 rpm)... I just tried the belts on the 6th spot (about 3900 rpm) and I have to say, it ROCKED.

I used a roughing gouge and skew as my tools.

DougMJones

I use a roughing gouge and a skew at the highest speed. I then wet sand at that speed with Micro Mesh through all the grits. The water keeps down the heat and you can really make them shine. Just be sure to put a towel over your ways to keep them from getting rusty.

jthompson1995

I started out turning pens at lower speeds as well. I experimented a little bit and found out that it actually is easier to turn at higher speeds, fewer blowouts and catches not to mention less time. I turn all of my pens as fast as my lathe will go (3900 RPM). I also sand off the corners of brittle plastics (PR, Inace Acrylester, cast skins, etc) and segmented blanks.

Top Bottom