What metal are the components?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
A potential customer asked me what metal the different parts of the pen were made of. I couldn't answer... so that's my question. I know tubes are brass.

Thanks in advance.

BradG

A coppy alloy, so brass is a possibility.

Its then plated with nickel. and then either chrome plated, or gold plated. The reason for this is that eventually a copper based alloys colours will leach through its coating, and you would start to see blotches appear or faint spots on the chrome or gold plating. the nickel gives a protective barrier to counteract this.

alphageek

Former Moderator
A coppy alloy, so brass is a possibility.

Its then plated with nickel. and then either chrome plated, or gold plated. The reason for this is that eventually a copper based alloys colours will leach through its coating, and you would start to see blotches appear or faint spots on the chrome or gold plating. the nickel gives a protective barrier to counteract this.

Brads answer is an excellent answer to your question - We really don't know the exactly alloy underneath.

That being said - I think you need to concentrate on the important part of the question. Focus not on the metal underneath, but the virtues of the metals that its plated with. Hopefully if you are selling to customers you have moved up to the better platings, not the lowest cost ones that are prone to failure long term.

Top Bottom