What makes wood do this????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

I know that the photo doesn't do this wood justice (it looks like you could run your fingers down into the waves in the wood), but it prompts me to ask why does wood end up quilted?

I am confident that someone on this forum can help me understand why this is so magnificent!

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Is that Ancient Kauri?

As the tree endures weather phenomenon that cause the tree to sway back and forth, the outer layers can "slip" against each other as they form when they are still soft ... this slippage results in a rippling effect along the skin of the tree as it grows, and when that layer becomes part of the wood of the tree it "freezes" in that shape. Subsequent layers forming on top will only add to this phenomenon, though the exact same species of tree living in the very same valley or mountain may not end up with this "curly" pattern you have there just because the wind patterns were different or temperatures or humidity allowed the outer layer of the tree to straighten out, or it just never bent in the wind far enough that the slippage would occur. (Of course I could be wrong about this ... I'm sure someone will come along and let us know!)

It seems you have a piece of Ancient Kauri that exhibits "whitebait" as well as quite a bit of curl. Not many wood species have this level of chatoyance, though I've seen something approaching it in certain species of wood like Koa.

It's supposed to be caused not only by the wavy formation of the wood itself, but by the oils present in the wood causing light to refract in the very first millimeter of the wood.

In the case of Koa, the wood itself is quite hard and a little oily, but not much. In the case of Ancient Kauri, the oils are from the bog that had captured the tree when it fell some 50,000 years ago and preserved it away from oxygen for all this time.

If you check out the "Pretty Wood Pen" voting thread, you'll see quite a number of pens that have a similar chatoyant effect in the wood. Once you discover which species will have that kind of effect, remember it ... it's beneficial to achieve that effect by stepping up several levels in your final sanding efforts before applying your finish.

Ancient Kauri is recommended for final sanding (on bare wood) at 1200 - 1500 grit. It's gorgeous stuff!

Last edited:

Warren White

Thank you....

To answer Gregory's question, it is Walnut. A friend just purchased an 8/4 piece from a fellow who apparently grows a lot of Walnut on his property.

Thanks for the replies. Isn't it marvelous to work in a medium that offers such beauty?

oldtoolsniper

To answer Gregory's question, it is Walnut. A friend just purchased an 8/4 piece from a fellow who apparently grows a lot of Walnut on his property.

Thanks for the replies. Isn't it marvelous to work in a medium that offers such beauty?

Just be aware that turning it down to a pen size may cost you the look you are seeing in that lumber.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Warren White

Probably, but...

... he is going to make a segmented bowl, which he does very well! I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Below are two pictures of a keiyaki (Japanese elm) plate that I turned back in '08 or '09 when I was in Japan. I saw a slab at a wood store that about 2 1/2 inches thick by 20 inches wide and almost 3 ft long. It cost about $75. IN the corner of the slab was this beautiful figure. I bought the slab just for the figure.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Skie_M

That's gonna make a lovely bowl ... make sure you sand it to a nice high grit, a good bit past what you normally would sand it to ... see if it still has that gorgeous figure!

attachment.php

This is a pic of some Ancient Kauri ... it's from a Kahiko Table.

Attachments

• Kahiko_Curl1.jpg
    Kahiko_Curl1.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Top Bottom