what lights to use

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

GE Reveal bulbs give a very natural daylight color to objects. I have used them. The difference between incandescent bulbs and ordinary flourescent is startling. You can pay much higher prices for true daylight color specialty bulbs but I doubt the difference is noticable.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Best bet is one on each side for even lighting and to remove shadows and then one from the front next to the camera to create the reflective line that shows off the finish.

GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
cheap way is to get 2 or 3 of the clamp-on mechanics lamps from home depot or, as BillyB said, a some cheap desk lamps/clamp on lamps from wally world. Nothing specific required, you just need something to point the light into the area where the pen is. [;)]

GK

Fred

The big thing is to use bulbs that are NOT so hot as that wears out the fabric, and most importantly that they are DAYLIGHT BALANCED (6000 Kelvin). Do not ove load the appliance used to hold the lights, i.e., do not put a 100 watt bulb in a fixture with a maximum rating of 60 watts. Keep the bulbs well away from the fabric of the light tent to avoid scorching and possible fire.

Check with a local reputable camera shop (NOT the department within Walmart either) and ask about daylight balanced bulbs. [:)]

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
As Frank says, the GE Reveal bulbs are great for the proper "color". But, as Fred says, be careful of the heat and keep them a bit away from your tent. The other possibility is to purchase the "daylight" Compact Fluorescent bulbs. They give you similar color with a lot less heat. But they do cost more. *shrug*

GK

its_virgil

6000K and 5400K compact fluorescent bulbs are available at Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot. Look for Daylight on the pkd and the color temp (6000K or 5400K) stamped on the white ceramic base.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Fred_erick
<br />The big thing is to use bulbs that are NOT so hot as that wears out the fabric, and most importantly that they are DAYLIGHT BALANCED (6000 Kelvin). Do not ove load the appliance used to hold the lights, i.e., do not put a 100 watt bulb in a fixture with a maximum rating of 60 watts. Keep the bulbs well away from the fabric of the light tent to avoid scorching and possible fire.

Check with a local reputable camera shop (NOT the department within Walmart either) and ask about daylight balanced bulbs. [:)]

gerryr

As long as your camera has a custom white balance setting, you can use virtually any bulbs. If it does not have a custom white balance setting, you need bulbs that are 5500-6000K. If you did deep enough on GE's website, you will find that GE Reveal bulbs are rated at 3500K. They are tinted blue to correct some of that problem, but my testing indicated they still required a custom white balance on the camera.

wizical

thanks for all of your great advice. I bought two desk lamps and a lamp with a long reach arm. I also bought those GE blubs as well. my camera is a pentax 10k digital SLR. i can change anything on it. thanks again

RasMan

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />..., you need bulbs that are 5500-6000K.
Is a bulb rated at 6500K too much? Over the weekend I found bulbs rated at 5500K and some rated at 6500K. Which would give the best results?

gerryr

6500K is about the color temperature of open shade on a sunny day. They should work fine, but test them and see if they need a custom white balance. I've come to the conclusion that you get the best results by setting a custom white balance no matter what bulbs you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom