What lathe are you using?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

My first lathe was a little 10" Excelsior with a bed extension (so I could turn canes.) Then a year or so ago I got the HF variable speed 12" with a rotating head. I use the small one for spindle turning (pens, canes, peppermills, etc. and the big one for bowls, although it is set up for drilling most of the time. It's bed length is actually a couple of inches shorter than the 10" with the extension.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I really like your tool holder there!

Had a 1224, sold it a couple of months ago due to some health concerns, found this one on sale for what I sold my original one for. So I bought it!
attachment.php

Lenny

Had an old Rockwell/Delta that had been in the local high school shop. When they did away with IA, I bought it and changed out the 3 phase motor to a single phase. When I got into Penturning I picked up a Jet 1014, nice smooth running lathe but it didn't have variable speed .... So ... I sold it and bought the Delta 46-460. I love it! Hasn't given me a single problem. Would love to have the Nova DVR-XP but for the difference in $$$ I'll stay with my Delta. Ended up selling the Rockwell/delta as I never used it after getting the 46-460.

RaymondScott

I have the Delta 46-460 with the bed extension and the stand. It's my first and seems to work well for my needs. I did have to shim between the foot of the bed and the stand, so the extension could be level to the bed, but after that all is well. I wish the quill had a little more travel distance, but I can work with it.

JasonC

Jet 1014.

Does everything I need for pens and such, but I've had people suggest I start working on some pool cues so I've looked at getting a larger lathe. Will wait a year or so to debate that one.

10418162_4385459891942_4350093796734107190_n.jpg

PenPal

My main pen lathe is a Vicmarc VL150. Vicmarc Collet Chuck Canberra made Mandrel Saver. 2hp three phase motor run through VFD single to three phase. Two exhaust systems one above and one rear of the pen rest.

This is the best aligned lathe I have ever had.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 708

KBs Pensnmore

My first lathe was a GMC that I paid $100 for, I donated that to the local Day Centre. I now have a Symtec 1500 copy lathe that I do all my wood turning on, a Nova Comet that was given to me (requires a new motor) and a 7x12 metal lathe that I'm still waiting on a motor for (8months):mad:
Kryn

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I really like your tool holder there!
Thanks Sharon, Some disagree with it being there. Strangely, the Pres. of our Wood Club saw it and made one for each of the 7 Midi lathes we have at the club!

Somebody else liked it, so I felt vindicated!

walshjp17

Started with a Rikon 70-100 and then added the VS upgrade. Eventually sold it. I have a Jet 1642 for larger work, a Jet 1221VS for pens and smaller work and an old blue Jet 1014 for demos and buffing.

I use both a Jet 1642 and a Jet 1014. I had tow previous lathes and both were Jet. Can not say enough good things about all of them. MY grandson uses a HF lathe and it seems to be pretty good.

Guys you have a great selection of lathes but some of you need to make some savings and get the place dirty. I always thought a ultra clean shop is one that needs more working time. Congratulations on the ability to keep things so clean. I really wish I could do as well.

Turned Around

I have a couple I use. Mainly for different projects or stages of a project.

Grizzly G0624?
CSUSA Apprentice 812 VS
Emco Compact 5 CNC

A Jet 1014VS with a bed extension handles everything I need at the moment. I must admit, my shop is seldom if ever as "clean" as those I've seen in this thread.
Mack: I really like your tool holder! I think I will make a smaller version for myself.

Top Bottom