What kit for 1930s-40 Black Bakelite ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
What kit for 1930s-40 Black Bakelite ? Here it is !!

I bought this blank from Dawn (PRPrincess) months ago , and have been waiting for the right time to turn it . Obviously , it deserves to be matched with a higher end Fountain with Rhodium / Blk TI . The blank is beefy enough for a large size pen kit . Any recommendations ?

Someone asked to see my birthday present after completion ! Thanks for all the help . I decided to go with the Blk.TI/Rhodium LTD.Edition FP from CSUSA . The gold reminded me of the Upgrade Cigar , and they are OK . I even sent one to Neil and Johnnie last summer . Anyways , I appreciate all the help . :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

I like a Lotus with black ebonite so there's not reason why it wouldn't look just as good in bakelite.

Marc

I bought this blank from Dawn (PRPrincess) months ago , and have been waiting for the right time to turn it . Obviously , it deserves to be matched with a higher end Fountain with Rhodium / Blk TI . The blank is beefy enough for a large size pen kit . Any recommendations ?

broitblat

I think you've already had a couple of good suggestions, but I think that would also look good if you go the simple and elegant route with something like a Jr Gent in Black Ti

-Barry

OKLAHOMAN

To me you just can't beat the 22K gold Emperor for basic black:Both of these are the Princess's bakelite.

IMG_1083-2.jpg

Those emperors Roy posted look great, I'd definitely look into that. A higher end fountain pen in that bakelite may sell for quite a bit if you are looking to sell the pen.

Very nice pens Roy, the yellow is beautiful.

Good Luck.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I believe it was Roys pens that inspired me , along with the pen Ed made during the campaign to sell these blanks . Because of the rarity of this material , it only deserves to be assembled with the better pens .

Chris , that's a beautiful pen , and I'm sure Fred was sincere in his comments . Thanks , I had completely missed that thread .

I Have just been informed by LOML , I get the Kit of my choice for my Birthday !!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

So I choose the Rhodium Blk TI Emperor . Thanks for the comments , photos and suggestions . Will post some photos when it's finished .

Last edited:

bitshird

Chuck'
I've done both a Lotus and several Jr.Emperors in Black PR,and my own in IBO and they are the first ones people notice, I think were it going to be my pen, given the rarity of the material, I would go with either a full size emperor or the Lotus in 22k and Rhodium. Just IMHO Ahhh So.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck'
I've done both a Lotus and several Jr.Emperors in Black PR,and my own in IBO and they are the first ones people notice, I think were it going to be my pen, given the rarity of the material, I would go with either a full size emperor or the Lotus in 22k and Rhodium. Just IMHO Ahhh So.

Ken , I have seen some of your awesome pens . I just want to say that I agree with you , in that this blank will be on the full size Emperor , and it will be mine to keep . I have a nice leather case I bought from Lou , and will check with him about one of his nibs for the pen . Thanks for your opinion .

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck, You got to post a pic of it when your done. Id like to see the Black Ti Emperor

Will do , Lupe ! I may have to order that kit . My last order took six days to get here . Our Woodcraft store may have one , but I doubt it . If I remember , I'll send you a PM when I post it .

GouletPens

The lotus is nice, but the phallic nibs is a big deterrent for me. I have one prepped up to make right now.

My vote of for the emp. There is just no contest when it comes to that pen.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
And where might one get some of dawn's bakelite?

George

You get it from Dawn (PRPrincess) if she has any left . When Ed (Ed4copies) her Hubby posted these for sale on 6-24-08 , he said there were less than 100 pieces , and wouldn't last long . Do a search here for "Black Bakelite" and you will find the thread started by Ed4copies .

GouletPens

Thanks for your input Brian .
Have you ever made an emperor? I made my first one (jr, actually, but the same thing other than the size) not too long ago and I was really impressed with the detail in the kit. I took a couple of pictures of it and sold it that day. It's a smokin' hot kit. It helped that I had a truly exceptional piece of ambyona burl with sapwood, but the bakelite is also really nice looking.

Attachments

• 1VT02.jpg
    1VT02.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 1VT05.jpg
    1VT05.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 81

GouletPens

The full size emp. is usually better for the fancy woods, so you can see more of the wood. For the bakelite, I think you'd be better with the Jr. Emp. as well. It'll fit better in people's hands, and looks just as nice. The full size is simply massive and will deter a lot of people from wanting it because of its size. In fact, most people will probably tell you how massive the Jr. is even.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Brian , this will be a display pen for ME . Not for sale , and it will probably never be used . Although , at some point in the future , it could become a gift to a good friend , with the hand to hold it , but probably never would . So the size of the pen does not matter much . Also , I would like to have as much of the Bakelite to show the size of the blank . Thanks very much for your ideas and suggestions .

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Neil ! Ya talked me into it . After all , if Susanne's paying for it , why NOT ? :biggrin: I'd better go ahead and order it though !

Top Bottom