What kind of burl?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NittanyLion

NittanyLion

Found this earlier today....large burl, 2-3 ft round, dead for a long time....very dry, looks kind of petrified.... so I had to turn a pen. It was very hard, tore up my chain on my saw. What is it? I didn't use any stain, just CA. Almost has to be oak.....or possibly walnut??.... .nothing else around here(PA) as dark that I know of. I probably have enough for 50 blanks! Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 393
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

It sure doesn't look like OAK.
I just returned from State College this evening.
Brother in-law and their two adult children all live there now.

SDB777

Up near the clip end you can see the parenchyma cells are very long as is typical in most oak species. As for the color being on the dark-ish side, that is common too...could be nothing more then what the tree was 'feeding' on from the soil.

Did you happen to get a photo of the burl before you whacked her up? Got any bark left over to further ID the wood species?

Not sure why your chainsaw got 'tore up' from cutting on a burl:eek::eek: Imbedded rock or piece of metal maybe? Either way, that stinks!

Would really like to see a photo of the pen in the sunshine on maybe a solid white background....please?

Scott (nicely turned) B

NittanyLion

Thanks for the help everyone....here are a few pics under natural light outside.....the more I look at this, I think it's oak. You can see from the bark that it's well aged.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 205

RMayoIII

I'm not fully convinced it's oak....:rolleyes: But if you send me the rest of it I'll start analyzing it straight away!:biggrin:

NittanyLion

Thanks everyone for the feedback.......The log you see is 1/9 of the burl.....plus there is still another smaller burl on the log in the woods. I'm gonna have to go back for that! If anyone is up for some swapping for pen kits, I'll give up some blanks. Some of it needs stabilized.....it's very hard and solid, but coming apart on some of the layers. I used CA on that slimline to hold it together. PM me if interested.

Top Bottom