what kind of bubinga is this

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fafow

Does anyone know what kind of bubinga this board is? The color is light to medium pink, and when turned, the wood is fairly porous. The grain is fairly swirled.

200842114550_bubinga.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cbonner

It looks like normal bubinga heartwood to me. I do not see figure consistent with pommelle, or waterfall. If you wet it with mineral spirits (or similar), the figure will pop out more.

fafow

I've never worked with bubinga before. All the heartwood I have worked with has been a straight grain, unless it was curly, quilted, pomelle, etc. I also have a board that I was told was bubinga and the grain is very straight. So, when I saw this I assumed it was figured heartwood. If the figuring on this is normal, then I can see why some people really really like bubinga. Thanks for the info.

woodworker

All the Bubinga I have worked has been darker than that and I have worked with some fairly large pieces (over 10 feet long). You might wet it and re photograph it. The flash sometimes makes the wood look different in a picture.

M

monkeynutz

Anybody see the bubinga that Rockler is hawking right now? They cut up a log and are selling the boards... for $4335.00 each. Even named the boards.

George7

I saw some of the Rockler bubinga last weekend. It was amazing! I could visualize a coffee table with a top made from part of one of the two boards that they had. Of course, if I made such a table, I would have to cut my own throat the first time I put something on top of it.

Grizz

Banned
All I can say about it... is that it is 'dead' bubinga [:eek:)]

fafow

Here is a pic I took after wetting the wood last night...

tn_bubinga7t.jpg

The color is pretty close to the actual. It's not exactly clearly focused, but should be close enough to see the grain.

So far, you're all correct. It is dead, rectangular, African bubinga. [:p]

Top Bottom