What is your dislikes about pen turning ????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

Honestly, I like everthing about woodworking. When I'm at work, all I can think about is going home to sand some brass tubes. It's supposed to snow here in the next hour or so (We never get snow) and I'm heading out to turn pens in the snow. To quote from the movie Paton, "God help me, but I do love it so".

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dwmcreynolds

1. Backing my truck out of my "pen studio"
2. Still can't decide what kind of drill press to buy
3. Reaching in the mailbox and pulling out the latest Rockler sale flyer and a past due notice from the electric company
4. My wife says all my pens are too big
5. STILL waiting for CSUSA to get some bushings in stock so I can make my mom that Jr. Statesman I promised her for Christmas
6. Painting the inside of PR blanks
7. Defective pen kits
8. Buying blades for my Craftsman 10" band saw
9. Finishing my cigar before my pen is done
10.Standing in line behind grumpy customers at the Rockler store (never could understand that one).

Trust me, my list of what I LIKE about pen turning is MUCH longer.:D

marionquill

What I dislike about turning pens:
1. I can't find a pen kit that is 100% made in the USA.
2. My inability to figure out how to make a fountain pen without a kit - all I should need is the nib and a brass tube!
3. CA glue on my hands/fingers, especially with glitter or embosing powder mixed in.

I just use some 60 grit sandpaper to scuff up the tubes -- not sure if does any good on wood blanks but perhaps it does on acrylic...

Jason

cdcarter

It's too seductive and diverts me from my flat work, which is my first love. When I'm frustrated with a six-weekend piece of furniture, the prospect of trying a new pen model and being done in one session is too tempting sometimes.

Top Bottom