What is the difference

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Since the Apprentice series is new there is no data to back this up but the general opinion is that the apprentice series are a cheaper plating of the more expensive pens of the same name.

redfishsc

I can only echo the above, and add that I do not trust them. They would make for a good "beginners" pen, but I would NOT sell them to customers unless you want people whining about the plating wearing off.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Years ago, when fax was new on the "general market", the phone company offered "digital quality line". As a fax salesman, I asked numerous phone company employees to explain the difference between this and a "regular" line, which seemed to work fine for fax.

Ultimately, I got an answer. "If you pay for a digital line and your faxes don't work right, you have the RIGHT to complain. If you are using a regular line, we tell you you need digital quality."

So, I believe it is in the pen business. If you buy an apprentice and the gold wears off, you should have expected it. If you buy the same pen as the "guaranteed for life" version and the gold wears off, you get a free kit to replace it!!!! (Whoooppppppeeeeee!!!)

Yes, I am cynical. But I have rarely found my cynicism unjustified in working with people who choose NOT to give GOOD answers to questions and, in the pen industry, the "experts" all seem to be in Taiwan or China - so my "trust factor" is near zero.

Disagree if you wish, this IS an OPINION!!!

TowMater

All I can add to this conversation is that I bought some for family presents, went to order spare barrels as I mucked some up. Spare barrels don't arrive until January[:(!].

JamesBurgreen

I have ordered a few of the apprentice slimline, euros, and cigars, from CSUSA.

The apprentice series pens use different bushings, then the standard pens. I have seen quality issues in the following areas.

Transmissions; the fit of the pen refill into the transmission is not as smooth, on the apprentice. Also on a few of the euros I have done, the refill would not screw all the way into the transmission.

Finish; the gold seems to be about as good as the 24k. On approximately half of the euros I have done, the clip has been out of line, and I have had to bend the clip to make it parallel to the barrel of the pen.

Bushings; the apprentice does use different size bushings, if you turn using calipers, it will not be a big deal, but you should be aware they are different.

I find the pens to be adequate for experimenting on, trying new inlays, or acrylics etc…. Just to see what I like, but I would not sell these to a customer.

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

James Burgreen

Jarheaded

Ed,
I like your answer. It is basicly the same on anything you buy. If you want to pay less, you might get less (or not). The only way I can really say it clearly is in a language that noone else would understand so I won't bother. (And yes I have done some work in public relations.)
Thank you all for your time and have a great holiday season.
(P.S. All bonus checks this year are canceled.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom