what is causing this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SantaEric

i cast this blank using a oven dried magnolia seed pod and dyed alumilite. then turned onto a sierra pen kit....prior to assembling, i sanded 180 to 800 then CA on x 4 coats then resanded 400 to 800 then switched to MM to 12000. buffed with a polishing....but now i'm seeing what looks like streaks or sanding marks....what am i doing wrong

Attachments

• PICT0463.jpg
    PICT0463.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 347
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

You may be sanding too quickly. Since the marks look angular, it might mean you are moving the abrasive paper too quickly. You can't move to a finer grit until all pervious scratches are removed. Some folks don't use micro mesh if they are going to use polishing compounds. At least I think I remember Ed Brown not doing that in a video.

JohnU

I use "Extra Fine" steel wool after sanding but before CA or micromesh. I turn the lathe on high and work it like sandpaper. Then I turn the lathe off and lightly wipe side to side, or end to end on the blank, to remove any circular scratches. Just make sure to wife the blank off before applying CA so you don't get any steel wool fiber in the CA.

JimB

I'm curious as to why you use the steel wool. My understanding is the 0000 steel wool is the same as about 400 grit sandpaper. You can go to MM from there. what does the steel wool do?

I use "Extra Fine" steel wool after sanding but before CA or micromesh. I turn the lathe on high and work it like sandpaper. Then I turn the lathe off and lightly wipe side to side, or end to end on the blank, to remove any circular scratches. Just make sure to wife the blank off before applying CA so you don't get any steel wool fiber in the CA.

Top Bottom