What is a good starting pen product line?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allenworsham

Now that I have gotten to the point where I can make a semi-respectable pen, I am finally ready to start up my small woodworking/craft business. Not so much to make lots of money, but more for fun and to support and expand my hobby.

So my question is what is a good starting out pen line? I am not looking to go real high end, though I do want some better quality "executive" type pens as I do live in an area with a lot of business type folks, but not in the $100+ crowd. Most of what my market area will support is $80 and less with $20-$30 being most prevelant for more basic pens and $60-$80 for the higher end pens. The most popular pens that I have sold as well as given as gifts that got the best response are "Comfot Pens" that I picked up from Penn State Industries and "Sierra Pens" that I got from AZ Sillhouette. I have done well with the "Slimline Pens" and a few "Cigar Pens", but while most people love the look of the Cigars, they don't like the size and weight of the Cigars. Acrylics have outsold wood 3 to 1.

So I am figuring for sure:

Slimline
Sierra
Comfort
Cigar

But I am in a bit of a quandry for a moderate higer end "Executive" type pen as well as some pencil styles. I have a couple of El Grandes that look good with the black bottom by the nib, but I haven't done any others like the Barons, Statesman or Jr. Statesman that have the silver faceted silver/chrome bottom. I have had folks mention "Perfect Fit Convertible" pencil/pen from AZS for a good pencil pattern.

So I am looking to get a well balanced line without making 20 different styles. I plan on making a fairly large order of materials in the first part of March, so I want to get my ducks in a row, so to say before then.

Thanks for the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

For your upper scale pens, you can do either the Baron/Sedona or Grntleman Jr/Statesman Jr with easy. Each combo uses the same tube/bushings between them, so you can work two styles without issue.

(note: I'm not saying the Baron and Statesman are the same tubes, but the Baron and Sedona, etc.)

Hello

Allen,
Its amazing to me how different our sides of hte country are when it comes to wood craft.
I've made a few comfort pens and have had very little good response from them. I've asked people about what kind of pen they might like, andin doing so I describe Sierra, and that gets little good response.
Slimlines seem to be very popular here...and Barons sell like they're the latest Microsoft product! I haven't yet managed to get anyone to be iterested in an acryllic pen here in Maine.
I do well with satin kits and matte finishes here.

GoodTurns

you really can't go too far wrong with the Jr Gent/Jr Statesman/Jr Retro set. same tubes, very different styles (prices too), but you should be able to make a nice profit on the Gents/Retro at $60-70 and statesman at $80. They are well worth it and have a nice weight/feel to them.

Keep an eye out for the group buys as you can make a large savings on your material costs if you plan your buying!

jrc

Hi Allen, I've been making pens for 7 years and I make pens that sell and quickly. Pens I make are, the small pen is the slimline, med is the comfort without the grip and the a larger pen is the streanline from Berea. 3 pens with a few different finishes and everyone can find the pen they like. I also make the Sierra in chrome. Over 50% of my pens I make in chrome because it is a very durable finish.

MikeInMo

Originally posted by Hello

...and Barons sell like they're the latest Microsoft product!

That could be interpreted in many different ways based upon your opinion of the folks in Redmond.;)

So do you sell a lot of Barons or not?:D

desert1pocket

I am fairly new to this, and had the same questions a while ago. I was making too many varieties, and my customers were overwhelmed by the choices and options.

I settled on only 3 ballpoint styles; the slimline, cigar, and atlas/carbara/patriot, and 4 roller/fountain styles; Jr Gent, Jr Statesman, Emperor, and Panache.

I also narrowed down the hardware plating options to only the most durable. I only offer chrome, black ti, and gold ti for the ballpoints. I narrowed down the wood choices considerably too.

It seems that since I have simplified things and made the choices less confusing, people are actually more likely to buy. Maybe it's coincidence, but either way things are a lot easier on me.

spin613

I happen to make 9 different pen styles. The slimline, cigar, flat top series 2000, the El grande, Americana, Jr. Gentlemans, Jr. statesmans, gentalmens, and statesmens. my price range is between 40- 140. statesmen and gentalmen tend to be to big for the average hand :(. the JR.s seem expensive to most [V]. the Americana is a respectable pen but you may find tenons dificult, as with the flat tops [?]. el grandes are a sinch to make, are moderatly priced and they happen to go very fast :D. Cigars are also best sellers :). I find that people tend to buy alot of slimlines instead of the much more nicer (and expensive) pens thus i have stoped making so many :(. Have luck!

wickford

seems like just about everything was covered, although I will add one thing...

When picking a supplier for you kits, find out where they're made...I've found that many of the kits I've purchased that were made in China were far inferior in quality to the kits I've done from Taiwan...CSUSA has pretty high quality stuff (I'm sure the other places mentioned here do to, I've just not had a chance to buy from them yet...)

That's interesting that you sell acrylic 3 to 1 over wood...I do much better with woods and it gives me an opportunity to "sell" to the customer since I can discuss the wood and its origins etc...

Good luck!!

allenworsham

Thanks so much for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

With all the different styles available out there, this helps to narrow things down.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom