What I did today (kind of long)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drpelton

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpelton

The kids were playing with friends, LOML was cleaning house and doing laundry (a task I am FORBIDDEN to do!! :) )so I went to the shop. Here is what I was able to turn out. Would have been more, but Murphy decided to show up and I had to fight him for a while. :(

2007526191727_DSC_5517.jpg

This is made from a stick of Teflon my father-in-law gave me to see what I could do with it. Turned pretty easy.

2007526191827_DSC_5523.jpg

This is a laminated pen blank from PSI. Had a package of 6. This was the only pen I could get. I blew up 4 other blanks and finally quit while I was (sort of) ahead. Stupid Murphy.

2007526192024_DSC_5528.jpg

My first Cigar pen, made from Amboyna Burl. Man I love this wood! Finish is white diamond/Carnuba wax buffed.

2007526192148_DSC_5530.jpg

My second Cigar pen, made from African Ironwood. Got the wood from my sister-in-law's grandfather, who picked it up in Africa when he was in the Navy. Same finish as above.

2007526192328_DSC_5535.jpg

Lastly - comfort pencil (gift for one of LOML students) made from quarter sawn sapele. Same finish as above. Got a buffing system for my birthday and I'm liking what I'm getting from it! As always, comments and critiques. Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

All in one day? Ye dun fine. re: the Teflon: Did you glue in the tubes or drill to ID of tubes and assemble from there?
re: the laminated blow-ups: Don't blame Murphy, blame the blanks. That's the nature of many (all?) of those commercial laminated woods. Some will wait to come apart months later all by themselves.

jtate

You are a productive guy! Is that an Army thing? Sort of the penturning version of "We do more before sunrise than most people do all day" thing?

And your work is very nice. I've never seen Teflon as anything other than the inside of my pots. How did it drill? And did CA glue stick to it?

Thanks for sharing this.

Julia

airrat

all I did today was unload 600 bags and 10,000 lbs of freight and upload 700 bags and about 4,000 lbs of freight.[:D][:eek:)][8D]

You win, nice job on the pens.

drpelton

Thanks for all the positive responses.

Frank and Julia - I glued in the tubes. I hadn't had my first cup of coffee yet, and didn't think about glue not sticking to the Teflon. Fortunately it wasn't a problem.

Chris - for the right amount of supplies (blanks mostly), I'd be happy to GIVE that information away. Hint: wash package of new white undies with a new RED shirt...[:0]

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom