what hobby or activity do the girls do when they retire?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

So here is the question of the day.

Us guys, we retire, and we make pens...

So what hobby or activity do the girls do when they retire? Do any of them make little somethings that they sell?

Mike...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

liljohn1368

My wife loves to sew. She still teaches school and does the sewing on the side ( that's how I get money for some of my toys for the shop ). :biggrin::biggrin:

MTViper

My wife retired from the Air Force and took a quilting class. She'd always wanted to learn to quilt. It cost me a new sewing machine, some fabric, and the cost of the courses. Over time she went to work in a quilt store and started teaching quilting. This cost me a newer, computer driven sewing machine, a sewing machine cabinet, more fabric, and taxes on the paycheck she never brought home. [It also cost our youngest son his room when he went off to college.] We moved to Texas and she joined the quilt guild. This cost me a long arm quilting machine that took up the spare bedroom. The other extra bedroom was already full of sewing machine, cutting table, and more fabric than most quilt stores have. Then she became program director for the Guild which cost me a new sewing room (I got both of the bedrooms back though). Now she officially has more fabric than any two quit stores I know of and a newer model long arm quilting machine. Oh yeah there are 4 oak and glass quilt boxes in the living room, too. So far she has gifted quilts, donated quilts, made birthday quilts, made baby quilts, worked on raffle quilts, but hasn't sold a one. I'm afraid if she started making things to sell I'd never be able to afford it.

On the plus side, we don't compare the costs of our hobbies, she's so far ahead I'll never catch up.
Steve

Last edited:

Curly

Marla started turning pens long before me and she started playing with carving Mastodon Ivory for a while before we moved out here. Everything awaits the new house and shop for both of us. :frown::frown:

My wife started quilting several years back when we were both still working...she belonged to two quilt guilds in Houston area and always made sure she got to go to the International quilt show in the George R Brown center in Houston... since she was working and making her own money, never looked at what she spent on fabric... recently, she has developed a tremor in her hands and can not longer work a sewing machine, so she gave up her sewing machine and collection of fabric to my sisters when they were here last week... Younger sister go the machine and I don't know how much fabric, and other paraphernalia but it was a trick to pack everything in her suv..... the rest of the fabric we sent to older sister in Texas... two boxes of fabric weighed about 55 lbs... cost me $104 to mail the two boxes.

Last edited:

liljohn1368

My wife loves to sew. She still teaches school and does the sewing on the side ( that's how I get money for some of my toys for the shop ). :biggrin::biggrin:

You got a darned nice wife, JP !!!! :):):)

Mal. I have to spend on her also. I just ordered her a $400.00 sewing machine a few weeks ago. But I do have an awful nice wife. My toys out cost her toys 2 to 1 :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

edicehouse

My wife is not retired, however I think she has started a hobby of "Oh I like that pen, into my hands it goes"

jsolie

Quilting = segmenting, but with cloth. I'm not sure what my wife will do when retirement comes around. Hopefully we'll have room if she selects quilting. Or crocheting.

tt1106

My wife is probably part Hippie. On her 46th Birthday this month, she decided to start reducing our foot print. She now makes her own soap, her own shampoo and her own lotion. She also sews. This month, reusable napkins. :)

Top Bottom