what happened?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkHix

I turned my first Sedona about 2 weeks ago. I was using it and the end cap/clip went flying off. When I push it back in, it goes in all the way but will not stay. Before I go trying to fix what I don't know about, any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

I have had many of the Baron/Sedona pens that the cap/finial is slightly on the loose side. It sounds like you have one like that too. If you can push it back in with just you thumb it will need a little help to stay put. Apply two small drops of glue in the tube and then put the finial back in the cap. You might want to add a light clamp pressure just to make sure it does not move while the glue is drying. I use epoxy for this, but I use epoxy for all my tubes too. I know some will use CA. If you do use CA make sure to let the glue off gas for a day or two before putting the pen back into the cap as some have had the CA gas leave a film on the plating.

Oh and I would really rather have the fitting on the loose side and use glue than some of the pens that are too tight and cause the finished pen barrel to crack. Just something to watch out for.

Hello

in what manner were you using the pen that could have made the end cap "fly off"? were you playing "baton twirling" or something? *L*

I don't have any educated advice on the matter as I've had the experience, but I'd use a a drop or two of carefully placed CA to permanently lock it into place - just remember that you won't be able to take the pen apart to refinish or anything later.

airrat

If you only use a tiny amount of glue you will still be able to tap it out later if you need to. I have had to replace a cap for someone that really wanted to keep the pen they had. They dropped it and scratched up the final.

Rudy Vey

This has become a problem lately for me with the Baron. I have had several come back from customers, complaining that the clip gets loose and starts spinning. Pressing in the cap does not help. You have to use some glue like Airrat recommended, but this is also only a temporary fix. First I used CA, but it wont last long. Now I am using 5 min epoxy.
I am not sure what the reason is for this, but was too lazy to start measuring tubes and parts. It looks like it is a problem mainly with Satin Nickel and Chrome, and not so much with TiGold or Black Ti.

MarkHix

Thanks for the help. I dropped a single drop of CA down into the cap and held it together in a vise until it dried. The kit was TiGold.

Sorry to dissappoint you Hello but nope....not baton twirling...it was funny, I was signing my name on 4 or 5 written depositions in front of a notary. She jumped. Lucky it did not hit her in the eye! I did not tell her I made the pen.

The epoxy seems to be right way to go. Do any of you put it in the caps as part of your routine?

Top Bottom