What grind is this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Got this bowl gouge recently in a bulk deal. Nice Crown Pro-PM model but no idea what the grind is. Any tips, can't see this not being a catch machine! Thanks!

Attachments

• image-1757570269.jpg
    image-1757570269.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 318
  • image-111407628.jpg
    image-111407628.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 268
  • image-3020057234.jpg
    image-3020057234.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 316
  • image-2390856286.jpg
    image-2390856286.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 334
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

I've looked at it for a couple of weeks here and there and keep shaking my head trying to figure it out. I guess I did just needed to be sure it wasn't just me missing something lol.
Thanks!

KenV

The first picture appears to show a flat bottom and not the traditional U, rounded V, or parabolic shaped flute.

If flat, that is a special tool developed by a midwest Turner and sold through Hartvile. Memory is his last name was Houette or similar. Was intended for bowl bottom cuts. Was a bit tricky to use.

The bad news if flat bottomed, Will not grind to a bowl gouge.

It can be reground to a negative rake scraper or a fluteless gouge.

The Penguin

The first picture appears to show a flat bottom and not the traditional U, rounded V, or parabolic shaped flute.

If flat, that is a special tool developed by a midwest Turner and sold through Hartvile. Memory is his last name was Houette or similar. Was intended for bowl bottom cuts. Was a bit tricky to use.

read again, OP says it is a "Crown Pro PM" gouge. :wink:

we can only see a small piece of the handle, but that appears to be a Pro PM handle.

it could be a re-handled gouge, but look very closely at the first photo - it's a parabolic flute bowl gouge.

it doesn't hurt that I have about 5 of those - it's a very good gouge when it's got a good grind on it.

Last edited:

KenV

read again, OP says it is a "Crown Pro PM" gouge. :wink:

we can only see a small piece of the handle, but that appears to be a Pro PM handle.

it could be a re-handled gouge, but look very closely at the first photo - it's a parabolic flute bowl gouge.

it doesn't hurt that I have about 5 of those - it's a very good gouge when it's got a good grind on it.

If it is fluted, there are a bunch of good grinds. I cannot see from the photos if it is flat or fluted.

P.S I like powered metal tools too.

southernclay

Sorry guys, just getting back home and settled. Definitely fluted. At first I was thinking it should be some sort of bottoming grind but just couldn't figure out how it would work out. Ultimately though I think the former owner just sharpened it incorrectly. Hope the pics help more. I'll regrind it one of these days. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image-3270665257.jpg
    image-3270665257.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 173
  • image-2163129794.jpg
    image-2163129794.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 193
  • image-3582716492.jpg
    image-3582716492.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 197

southernclay

Send it to me. I just got an 80 grit cbn wheel that will take care of it. ;-)

Only if you put a genuine Bens Best handle on it for me too! Lol I actually like by Benjamin's Best stuff. I'm going to order a CBN wheel soon, thinking from Woodturners Wonders and will grind it after that most likely. Will try it on a BB first though!

Send it to me. I just got an 80 grit cbn wheel that will take care of it. ;-)

Only if you put a genuine Bens Best handle on it for me too! Lol I actually like by Benjamin's Best stuff. I'm going to order a CBN wheel soon, thinking from Woodturners Wonders and will grind it after that most likely. Will try it on a BB first though!

Don't know if they're still on sale, but I went on Amazon and found a Hurricane tools CBN wheel in 180 grit for $150... works as well as the $200++ wheels.

Top Bottom