what else do i need to turn bowls???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

truckerdave

I recently purchased the nova g 3 woodchuck, a new 60 degree live center tailstock, and a full wolverine sharpening system.
Is there anything else I need to buy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

A lathe would be essential!!! :biggrin::biggrin::tongue:

Maybe a bowl gouge ... some scrapers ???

I personally am thinking about trying Ken Farrell's round insert tool the Woodchuck Bowl Pro... his Woodchuck pen pro is great so I suspect this tool to work equally well!

truckerdave

A lathe would be essential!!! :biggrin::biggrin::tongue:

Maybe a bowl gouge ... some scrapers ???

I personally am thinking about trying Ken Farrell's round insert tool the Woodchuck Bowl Pro... his Woodchuck pen pro is great so I suspect this tool to work equally well!

Any certain brand of bowl gouge /scraper that is better than another?
:confused:
Now where did I put that lathe?
I just had it a second ago!

KenV

I recommend you either take a class or two, or get some lessons from a mentor. Local wood turning clubs are good sources of experienced turners that might be enticed into giving you some lessons.

There are lots of fine points in technique that will save you hours of frustration along the way. Classes are well worth the expense!!!

There are several schools in your part of the world that have top notch classes in turning.

Green wood is a great way to begin - as it is often the lowest cost and the wood cuts easier.

Note that the acquisition of chain saws, large bandsaws, and other wood prep tools is a likely outcome.

Tis fun -- and always amazing to see what comes out of the wood.

IPD_Mrs

Ken has a really great suggestion. There are tons of local turning clubs, heck we even have one in our dinky town. Also if you have a Woodcraft or Rockler close by they usually have classes or know the clubs that will get you pointed in the right direction. DVD's are good, but there is nothing like a little hands on learning, especially from a seasoned teacher.

JimB

Hey Dave - it was good meeting you at the FLWT club meeting. I know you are back and forth between Ohio and Rochester. When you are here in Rochester you are welcome to give me a call and stop by. I'm not a great bowl turner but I can certainly get you started on some basics and give you a feel for it. You might even get dinner while you're here.

I'll send you a PM with my phone number.

bitshird

I would suggest a quality bowl gouge, something in the order of a 1/2 in Doug Thompson, ve gouge, maybe a Jimmy Clewes model, I like a woodchuck for clearing most of the wood but when it gets close I grab my Thompson gouge, although I've been using a round insert carbide tool for the past month or so, and it's pretty good, but it's hard to beat a good Fingernail grind Bowl gouge,. And you already have a quality sharpening system for the gouge.

truckerdave

Hey Dave - it was good meeting you at the FLWT club meeting. I know you are back and forth between Ohio and Rochester. When you are here in Rochester you are welcome to give me a call and stop by. I'm not a great bowl turner but I can certainly get you started on some basics and give you a feel for it. You might even get dinner while you're here.

I'll send you a PM with my phone number.

Hey Jim!
Thanks so much for Your kind offer! I just sent you a PM. I would love to make sawdust with you!
Dave Seward

Top Bottom