What do you call it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjbear76

I have recently begun putting a CA finish on some of my pens. When I show them to friends or potential customers, I get "what's on the outside of the wood" or "is that some kind of laminate?" Curiously, most comment that they don't care for the shiny finish :mad:. So what do you tell people who ask what the finish is? You can't say, "oh, it's glue" or something like that. Do you have some terminology you use to describe a CA finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

I just tell them it is a super glue finish. Once they get over their amazement, I then tell them how I apply the finish and that it is used to protect the precious wood components so they do not loose their luster and/or color. Usually when I'm done with the BS :)wink::biggrin::wink:) they are won over.:rolleyes:

Jim Burr

Banned
It's easy to knock down the finish of CA so it's not plastic looking. Dazzle them with "It's a special polymer called Cyanoacrylate". Wait for the oohhh's and ahhhhh's!

kovalcik

Same here, super glue finish. It always starts a discussion. I do point out that it is not actually super glue, but a CA glue formulated for woodworkingI have never had anyone comment that my pens were too shiny. I did have a few items finished with WTF that had more of a matte finish, but they never got a second look.

bjbear76

Same here, super glue finish. It always starts a discussion. I do point out that it is not actually super glue, but a CA glue formulated for woodworkingI have never had anyone comment that my pens were too shiny. I did have a few items finished with WTF that had more of a matte finish, but they never got a second look.

Yeah, I typically use a friction polish, but wanted to change it up a bit and add some variety with a CA finish. Plus I need the practice. I guess different customers have their preferences just like we do. That's whats makes this hobby fun, right?

Top Bottom