What do I do with THIS?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tharp

Okay, this is funny. I asked in another thread about manzanita (no burl).
Guess what! The guy cutting my tree came up to the house with THIS.
First off, I'm a total newbie. I am NOT going to cut this thing. I know I'll screw it up. I am only turning pens from blanks I buy right now because I lack the knowhow to turn something like this into art. I don't even know how to tell the quality of this thing. Where do I start?
It's about 32" long and about 14" at the widest.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for helping me out.
Tom

200710196615_04.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

Paint the end grain ASAP with anchor seal or latex paint, otherwise, you'll have a cracked and split mess. Then you can decide what to do with it.

LEAP

Tom
I know just what you are feeling. I had a nice oak burl given to me and did not know how to approach it. After a while I just took it to the band saw and started cutting. I don't think there is a right or wrong way. Just think of what you want to get out of it then try for the best yield. Its kind of llike unwrapping a christmas present. You never know what you will find inside.

barrels

Interesting looking wood.
May I suggest.....
1st....you determine the woods use, then cut to lenths for either cross cut or with the grain. And as you said being new I would take a 1" square cut off of wood and determine your cuts, mark the wood and cut with band saw to minimize kerf loss. Also keep in consideration after cutting lenths where your best figure is and also work with that cosideration with your 1" block. Then cut into slices and then cut into squares. If possible prep the wood with a stabilizer such as pentacryl.

good luck

Eric

tharp

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I will seal it, but probably take it downtown to a woodturners group and see if someone else wants to tackle this. It would be a shame for me to mess it up (kinda like asking the janitor to take over while the brain surgeon goes out for a smoke break).
Maybe the best thing would be to sell this piece and just buy normal pen blank wood. This thing will rot before I have the knowhow or courage to tackle something like this.
Thanks again
Tom

CaptG

Stop selling yourself short[:)]. Take Johnathans advice, seal it and put it up for a year to dry and by then you WILL be ready to tackle it yourself.[:D]

fuzzydog

Tom,
What evers you determine be prepared to sharpen your tools again and again as you turn manzanita. I was given a 14" manzanita root burl that had been kept in a closet for 25 years, Dry as (well you know), but the burl was crumply when turning and drilling.

Fred

Whatever you do try to avoid the use of Pentacryl as many here do not like the problems that occur when you try to put a finish on over Pentacryl. Paint the ends with a god latex paint if you need to allow the cut pieces to dry. The paint is FAR easier to remove during turning while the Pentacryl penetrates and is a pain to work around. Cut the original piece a bit at a time till you are familiar with what the wood holds as far as 'surprises.' No one is there to make you cut it all at once, so take your time discovering. I believe the closer you get to the burl and crotch wood begins to show the 'treasures' it holds, then take a bit of time and study the wood very closely. You still will not know whats there until you cut it. If you must use Pentacryl use it on wood you don't plan on trying to sell. I for one will never buy wood treated with it as there are just too many better sealers to be found. [:D]

airrat

Paint it and save it. Unless your making a bowl you want it to dry anyway. I too have gone to using latex paint due to just not satisfied with Pentacryl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom