What are Pearlex interference colors used for?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

I've used Pearlex brand and other Mica powders ever since I started casting blanks. I've got a bunch of interference colors and duo colors that were included with the different sets I've bought over time. I understand what they are and what they can be used for in other applications but is there any use for these in casting blanks? I've never taken the time to try anything using them and have been wondering lately .
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Try them, you are in for a neat surprise!
I used a lot of those when I was casting and loved the effects.
flip-flop colors for lack of a better term..

mick

Johnny, Jason, when using them do you use just the intreference color only or add other pigments or tints also?

jason_r

Yes.

Examplest:
PR with Duochrome BR (pigment flakes with Blue on one side, red on the other).
Depending on how the item is held, it'll look blue, red, or purple.

PR with Duochrome BR and translucent yellow dye
Depending on how the item is held, it'll look green, orange, or something else.

I'm not remembering the results of my tests w/ actual Perl-Ex interference colors-
check the resin color library.

It's easy to overlook how much impact the various colors have.
First time I mixed gold into blue I expected to get blue with gold sparkles.
WRONG- I got green with gold sparkles. In hindsight, it seems obvious.
But when I did it, I thought that since the gold didn't really mix with the blue,
the colors would remain distinct.

Another time I did gold ribbons in a navy blue body. Some of the ribbons
appeared to have a green tint- even though there's absolutely no green there. No mixing of colors in the resin. The blue light from the other color created the effect.

louie

from http://glassattic.com/polymer/powders_metallicwaxes.htm

interference" colors of mica powder
...An "interference color" is one that produces different colors depending on the way the light strikes it... and so show diff. colors when viewed from diff. angles (one color reflects and one color transmits)... so technically all opalesent or iridescent colors are created by interference.
...However, Pearl Ex calls it's colors "Interference" colors only when it's confined the interference colors to 2 colors.

Most interference colors are what appear to be singles ("Interference" + color name)
(these are white-based powders that produce a sheen of whatever the color name is)
.......when applied over white or lighter surfaces, the Interference Color is less obvious, and its "flip" effect is more obvious
..........in other words, if you put Interference Gold on white clay, the piece seems to have no color at all over light or white backgrounds, but you'll see a gold sheen when it's turned beneath the light. Dotty
..........or Interference Red powder appears white on light colored backgrounds, but when used on dark or black you'll see a red sheen
......when they're applied very thinly over dark colors, they don't show the whiteness you see in the jar at all, just the reflective color

Some interference powders come as doubles (two colors) though ... (e.g., blue-green... red-blue... green-yellow)
........when using the Red Blue Duo intereference powder, the result will be blue if applied over a black or dark clay color, and red if over white

Top Bottom