What are Bushings Really for?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKind2Anmls

Hello all,

Like I said in my introduction, I'm an experienced flatboard woodworker but have no experience turning. I did take a beginning class and turned a mallet. I bought a lathe and want to begin by making pens. I have read three books and several Internet articles but I have a question about bushings, which is not mentioned in anything I have read.

If you use a micrometer to measure the center band, the tip and the top of the pen kit, and then turn/sand the wood to those diameters, does a bushing then merely become a way of keeping things separated on the mandrel? And if so, isn't it true that I don't need to buy a set of bushings for each different pen kit since I'm not using the bushings for sizing?

Thanks.

---Susan

In oth

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Welcome Susan.

Not necessarily. (Assuming you are using a mandrel) The bushing also supports the inside diameter of your tube (if it is not a simple 7mm).

IF you are turning 7mm pens, on a mandrel, you are correct. Bushings are "guides", not "requirements".

Sufficiently obscure????

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Bushes also stop the <s>wood/plastic/metal/bolt/nut </s> blank from getting rounded at the ends, thus ensuring a nice match to the kit.:D

Using centres without bushes can stretch the tubes if you are not careful;)

gerryr

Actually the looney bin is in Canada, as well as he tooney bin.:D

Also, without bushings, you would need probably 30 different size mandrels for each different tube size, assuming of course you use a mandrel.

Rmartin

I rarely use a mandrel anymore, but always use bushings. Without bushings, the brass tube can become deflected; out of round. You certainly don't need to purchase bushings for all your pen styles though. If you are using a micrometer (which is recommended), bushings can be made from various materials. I like making bushings from corian.

BKind2Anmls

Thanks all. I wasn't aware that the tube actually fit over the bushing, nor that some bushings had a tenon. The ones I saw were the same size across the length. So I'll just need to buy bushings for each barrell diameter.

Top Bottom