What age

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

swirz1982

My daughters are 8 years old and both have been spending a lot of time with me in the shop watching me turn. Last week or so they have been really wanting to learn and i have been having them help me hold my hands as i turn now they want to get in there and do it on there own. I am just a little scared of leting them do it on there own want do you guys think.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
swirz - I'm thinking it's up to you. You're the one who's got to make the decision. BUT - if it were my kids, I'd let them do it - but one at a time.

plano_harry

Worked the CSUSA Learn to Turn booth a month ago, we had lots of kids and no minimum age. (lots of old guys too!) I am sure some were at or under 8. Just progress to them holding and you guiding, then let them go with you watching - always, until you are confident that they have the technique solid. If the support is close to the work, and they learn to hold the tool level, they shouldn't get into too much trouble. We were using the mini EZ carbides, with no accidents. The round ones seem particularly easy to master.

Harry

Akula

My Daughter got interested when she was around 10. I let her do thing but always supervised. She is a Senior now and runs all the stage construction for the school. She got into theater tech when she was in 7th or 8th grade and stuck with it.

They all learn at different rates and there is no room for errors using power tools. I know adults that paid a big price for a moment of not concentrating. Only you can make the call when you think they are ready.

lyonsacc

My kids are 11,9 & 6 and have each turned. Safety issues reviewed with them each time they turn. I have to pay very close attention to my 6 year old because he can get distracted. Mt 11 year old can complete a pen by herself - except she doesn't like to drill the holes - but I am still in the basement when she has the lathe on. I trust my 9 year old the most - the kid is very detail oriented - but he turns the least of the 3.

Review safety with them every time - hair, face guard, dust mask, loose clothes, how they hold the tools, etc..

Mine love to make "magic' wands and play "Harry Potter"

nava1uni

At the AAW symposium they had a youth room and lots of kids made many items. Some for the first time. I have worked with kids and they just need to be reminded to pay attention, no long hair, no long sleeves. They are smart and can do it.

USNGSCS

Weird that this conversation came up. Just this weekend I had both my kids take turns on the lathe. They came out to my shop and asked me to learn so I let them. My daughter is 10 and my son is 8. Told them about shop safety and made them learn to put on the safety gear, and how to turn on and off all the equipment. Then I let them practice on a piece of waste wood. Next weekend I am going to help them make a pen. I stayed about 2 feet away the whole time. Had a lot of fun.

jbswearingen

My nine year old loves the lathe, but not the "auxiliary" tools: They make too much noise. I review the safety steps with her EACH time she uses the lathe. I DON'T let her use CA glue. Her pens are either finished with BLO or are polished PR. She gets skittish when she has a catch, but is getting better. She's so far turned 7 pens. I do the "detail" work for her, like the final cuts, because she doesn't have the dexterity or the learned skill yet for matching bushings.

swirz1982

They have there own shields and i have always had them wear a hat or put there hair up when they are around my tools in my shop and i have been leting them hold my hands when i am turning but i am just nerious i guess being over protetive with them i think i am taking them down and going to let them hold the tools and i am will just do the guilding of the tools i will post pics of there pens they make tonight then only thing i will do is the sanding and finish.

Ian Thorn

I would go for it But one at a time in the shop for a start so theres no buting in by the other one, it sounds like you have all the safty coverd good to see,enjoy the experiance they are only young once.

Ian

Top Bottom