Went a little too deep.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobostro61

Bobostro61

This is a 5-1/2" diameter Olivewood bowl. Obviously, I went a little too deep. I was considering to do the following to fix it:
A. Make a handle to fit into the center of the bowl with either another piece of olivewood, or a contrasting wood.
B. Drill out the bottom (the size of the mortise) and glue in a piece of contrasting wood, and then turn the bottom again (with a tenon this time).

Any other ideas out there on an alternative fix?
smile.png

Attachments

• IMG_2247.jpg
    IMG_2247.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 293

Old Codger

Bob...I've had the same issue a number of times and have been very pleased with turning a piece of contrasting wood and gluing it in place of the missing piece. A suggestion...I've also turned the contrasting wood with a hollow in it to hold a metal filagre medalion or another metal piece into it to make it stand out... Only you will know it was accidental and others think it was done on purpose! Either way, both of you will enjoy it more than a bowl with a hole in it! Safe turning to you and good luck! Besure and post a photo on your resulting decision!

Bobostro61

Bob...I've had the same issue a number of times and have been very pleased with turning a piece of contrasting wood and gluing it in place of the missing piece. A suggestion...I've also turned the contrasting wood with a hollow in it to hold a metal filagre medalion or another metal piece into it to make it stand out... Only you will know it was accidental and others think it was done on purpose! Either way, both of you will enjoy it more than a bowl with a hole in it! Safe turning to you and good luck! Besure and post a photo on your resulting decision!

Thanks. I think I will go with option B (gluing in a new piece). I have a piece of Teak that I think will suit nicely.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Option B sounds good!!

Really, it will add a nice element to the lid and it will be impressive. ...You may incorporate it on purpose next time! The extra time may be worth the added subtlety of the inside of the lid!

YES, please post the result!

Top Bottom