Wenge with bocote center band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

After seeing the spalted oak pens I am ashamed of this lowly slimline but such is life. This was mu first attempt at a wooden center band. I like how it turned out. I can now use the cheap slimline kits but make the pen a little more robust without the exagerated "woman in a corset" look.

The photo was dificult to show the grain. I am still a newbie in the photo (and pen making) arena.

I had a great time using my new micro-HSS tools. I could have never even thought of center bands without these babies. :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

PSI had a set on sale for $15 I think. It is part # LCMINI2. It is a 5 peice set. I love it. They seem to hold their edge well. The only problem I have is with the skew. The metal it shorter than my guide plate on my Wolverine jig setup. I haven't figured a good way around that but I will. The small parting tool is especially nice and cuts very cleanly.

woodscavenger

DUH! I forgot to add the photo! [:0] Here it is. Any comments on my photo album are always welcome since I am a newbie and need all the help I can get.
[:p]

200512352212_wenge-pen1a.jpg
<br />

opus

Thanks,
I'll have to give a look at them.
If that"s the only problem you have with a skew, your way ahead of me....I shouldn't even call it a skew, when I try to use it it should be called "<u>Tool For Removing Big Chunk Of Wood!!) </u>[:D]

Gary

I've used wenge in jewelry boxes and found that it splinters a lot. It's interesting to see that it can be turned nicely.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
That centerband really adds a lot of flair to the wenge. For those of you having trouble with wenge, it's another very dense, oily wood only with open grain. A couple of coats of sanding sealer to start your finishing will work wonders.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Sanding sealer fills but does not hide the pores and grain. That makes it a lot easier to get a smooth finish so you can choose between low, satin and high gloss.

Gary

If you like the open pores/veins then don't use the sanding sealer...we all have our preferences and after all, it's art!

Scott

Hi Shane,

I really like the way this pen looks! That Bocote centerband really is very striking! I probably would have made the centerband bigger, and it just wouldn't have looked as nice as yours does! You have a good sense of proportion! Excellent job!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom