Welcome Home to a New Tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Picked up the Rikon deluxe 14" bandsaw and got it put together today.

Attachments

• image-639292461.jpg
    image-639292461.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 226
  • image-2683639579.jpg
    image-2683639579.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 193
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

It wasn't bad to put together although the instructions are terrible.

I'm still messing with the guides a little to get them dialed in.

The blade was running too far forward on the bottom wheel so I had to adjust it a little. Pretty easy to do.

There is a tiny bit of vibration - maybe some more fine tuning on the lower wheel? Nothing substantial though.

Man does this thing cut great. I used to have to feed everything thick through my old saw slowly.

This saw has a lot of little features.

csr67

Sweet new tool! Enjoy it. I love the quality of my Rikon lathe and I'll be buying more of their tools.

A sander next would be great. I use my belt sander quite a bit for pen work. Taking the edges off square blanks before turning, getting close to the tones on over cut blanks, squaring items off to fit in a mold, pine cones, gum balls etc

Mike

Charlie_W

Sweet band saw Dan!

As for the vibration, make sure the tires are fully seated on the wheels and that your drive belt is tight. Try running it without a blade. It could also be the blade itself. If you have an extra, try it next.
Then order some Timberwolves blades.

Good luck!
When you get everything all set up, you need to shoot a video clip of your shop!

Mengtian

Manual does suck. Hope the hints on the assembly helped. If you think it cuts good now, get a Timberwolf blade. I do lots of resawing and it is an amazing upgrade.

Make sure you do a bandsaw box this year!

Dan Masshardt

A sander next would be great. I use my belt sander quite a bit for pen work. Taking the edges off square blanks before turning, getting close to the tones on over cut blanks, squaring items off to fit in a mold, pine cones, gum balls etc Mike

Oh I have a belt disc sander, a 12" disc sander and a benchtop spindle sander.

I meant an edge sander and a drum sander. ;-)

Dan Masshardt

Sweet band saw Dan! As for the vibration, make sure the tires are fully seated on the wheels and that your drive belt is tight. Try running it without a blade. It could also be the blade itself. If you have an extra, try it next. Then order some Timberwolves blades. Good luck! When you get everything all set up, you need to shoot a video clip of your shop!

Seems like the timberwolf is a popular choice here.

Good call on checking the belt. I actually backed off the tension a but fearing I might have tightened it too much so that's worth checking. I little odd the a woodcutting bandsaw would have two speeds / pulleys.

Charlie_W

Sweet band saw Dan! As for the vibration, make sure the tires are fully seated on the wheels and that your drive belt is tight. Try running it without a blade. It could also be the blade itself. If you have an extra, try it next. Then order some Timberwolves blades. Good luck! When you get everything all set up, you need to shoot a video clip of your shop!

Seems like the timberwolf is a popular choice here.

Good call on checking the belt. I actually backed off the tension a but fearing I might have tightened it too much so that's worth checking. I little odd the a woodcutting bandsaw would have two speeds / pulleys.

Sometimes a belt that is not taut can flutter/shudder with the vibration/harmonics of the motor, drive wheel, flex in the cabinet/stand and or housing.
From the pic, looks like the motor is close to the drive wheel. Not as much chance of fluttering I would think.
Sometimes a belt can have a hump where it is joined and cause it to bump every time it goes around a pulley.
Run the motor without the belt. Then try it on the other speed.
Make sure the pulleys are tight and the motor mounting bracket does not have any play.

Hope this helps.

Mengtian

Picked up the Rikon deluxe 14" bandsaw and got it put together today.

Are you planning on leaving in one place? I have mine on casters. Though I do not move it alot it makes it easy when I do a really good shop cleaning.
Sale Price at Woodcraft makes it even nicer. Enjoy your new "baby".

That as a good price for Woodcraft. I would advise to always look out for the price at Sears. I bought mine for 649.00. They seem to have their prices change daily or weekly.

Get yourself a Carbide blade from Laguna. They are expensive, but well worth it! They even have a resharpening service.
You mentioned a Edge sander and a Drum sander. I built both of mine. A 6" X 89" edge sander and a 36" Drum sander. Let me know if you want the plans!

Dan Masshardt

Dan, that's a saw I want to upgrade to at some point! check out this tutorial from Alex Snodgrass from Carter--I think it's good stuff! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU Good on ya BTW

Already watched it a couple days ago. Good stuff.

One thing I'm not sure about with his advice though is that the rikon wheels don't seem to be very crowned and If the wider blade was placed where he suggested, the back of the blade would be almost off the wheel. Or it seems so anyway. I picked up a lot of good tips from him though.

Fish30114

[/QUOTE]

One thing I'm not sure about with his advice though is that the rikon wheels don't seem to be very crowned and If the wider blade was placed where he suggested, the back of the blade would be almost off the wheel. Or it seems so anyway. I picked up a lot of good tips from him though.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting Dan, I bet if you asked him you'd get a reply....

Fish30114

Dan, that's a saw I want to upgrade to at some point! check out this tutorial from Alex Snodgrass from Carter--I think it's good stuff! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU Good on ya BTW

One thing I'm not sure about with his advice though is that the rikon wheels don't seem to be very crowned and If the wider blade was placed where he suggested, the back of the blade would be almost off the wheel. Or it seems so anyway. I picked up a lot of good tips from him though.

That's interesting Dan, maybe if you asked he'd give you a response???

Top Bottom