Web site???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have an old web site that I started many years ago that Curtis helped me with. It is a Joomla account. Unfortunately I was never able to get it up and running and sort of left it sit dormant but kept up the fees. Too many things in life got in the way. I do not want to let it go for someday I may just bring it to life.

My question is this. Just this past week it must have gotten spammed or infected somehow and now I am getting bombarded with spamemailers hacking in the site. I do not want to open these emails for fear of virus attacks on other sites. Is there a way to filter this off that web site??? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

Are you stuck with just the one email address. If not just delete the address and make a new one. I know my site gives me 500 email addresses so every forum or vendor I deal with gets their own address. I start getting spam or junkmail I just delete the address.

jttheclockman

The emails are coming into my main email account that I can not get rid of.

Here is one of them

Joomla account details for wfccsgis2004 at jttheclockman

i accidently opened one of the first ones and it looks like it is a request to join my Joomla site.

I know these are bot addresses but there are names attached to them. Just started happening this weekend. Is there a way to block them either at the web site or at my email account??? Right now I am deleting them but do they really go away???

jttheclockman

I am the administrator of the site and can block these emails.

Is there anyone out there that uses Joomla and if so what do you do to block spam and bot addresses?? Is there key words or addresses that can stop this??

I now know that my main email is getting alerted to these spams registering on that site. That is why I see them. I probably can disable that feature but they still have started to accumalate there. I believe it may have something to do with my logo here that has the web site in it. Never had this and that site has been there since 2011 Went in and cleaned them all out. That may have triggered even more.

Last edited:

randyrls

John; more recent Joomla versions feature e-mail cloaking. It obfuscates the e-mail address with JavaScript. This site *MAY* do the same thing, as it is a common technique. I checked and it DOES **NOT** protect email addresses directly entered into posts.

Most hosting services allow you to create multiple e-mail addresses at the domain name you have. The e-mail gets forwarded to your main e-mail address.

Unfortunately the spammers have your e-mail address now and there's nothing you can do to prevent them from sending e-mail to you except filter them out.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

John; more recent Joomla versions feature e-mail cloaking. It obfuscates the e-mail address with JavaScript. This site *MAY* do the same thing, as it is a common technique. I checked and it DOES **NOT** protect email addresses directly entered into posts.

Most hosting services allow you to create multiple e-mail addresses at the domain name you have. The e-mail gets forwarded to your main e-mail address.

Unfortunately the spammers have your e-mail address now and there's nothing you can do to prevent them from sending e-mail to you except filter them out.

Is there some method to filter them by using words or codes or numbers??? I can not believe everyone who has a web site does not get picked off like this and then bombarded with false addresses. How do you know what is legit or not. They have gotten pretty clever over time.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I have an old web site that I started many years ago that Curtis helped me with. It is a Joomla account. Unfortunately I was never able to get it up and running and sort of left it sit dormant but kept up the fees.
John, This is not spam emails. This is a different and a bit worse in some ways and not so bad in others. I'm guessing this is Joomla 1.5 still given your descriptiion of the age of it. The older Joomla is now known for being something that is the known to be attackable by certain scripts. The best short term answer other than shutting down the site or getting it updated is to log in to the admin screen and turn off the ability to create new accounts. You can also delete all the junk accounts that were created from there. The good part is those emails are safe, the bad part is it is your Joomla site at more risk because of its age to be hacked.

jttheclockman

Thanks. Yes this is an older version and maybe at some time I will update it. I have deleted all those accounts and may just shut that off for now. If I ever do get to bring this to life then I will start fresh.

Top Bottom