Wax coating on blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fatdawg

Recieved a shipment of pen blanks today. As I was sorting through them I found some had the ends coated in wax(Olivewood and Kingwood). I also found that the Amboyna Burl and Snakewood blanks were completly coated in wax. This is the first time using these blanks and the first time seeing blanks coated in wax. I assume that they were coated or dipped to prevent checking or splitting. I guess what I need to know is what do I do before turning these blanks? Should I scrape off the wax and let them stabalize for a few days or so? I'm thinking they shouldn't be turned just yet.....but I have been wrong before. Will be greatful for any help!!

Justturnin

The goal w/ Wax is to coat the endgrain. Burl is all Endgrain as it goes every which way so you have to coat the entire blank and not just the ends like straight grain blanks. You can scrape off the wax but not necessary. If you want to be sure you can pick up a cheap scale from harbor freight and weight them for a few days. If they stay the same thay are likely dry.

EricJS

You are correct - they were coated to prevent checking & splitting. Unless the blank was sold to you as "green" or "fresh cut" you may go ahead and turn. It never hurts to let them acclimate to your shop for a day or two, but I've never found it necessary on something that small.

There is no need to do anything out of the ordinary with the wax. It will come off when you cut/drill/turn.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom