Waterborn Barons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Galanw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galanw

I am really enjoying the Deft Waterborn Acrylic, and it seems to be very durable. I am not prepared to say (yet) that it is better than Enduro, but it is certainly as good. These two have been dipped, but I have also applied it on the lathe following the enduro procedure. All comments welcomed.

Snakewood
IMG_0620_resize.JPG

Amboyna Burl
IMG_0623_resize.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Galanw

I dipped the first coat at 2:pm and the second coat at 4:pm. At 7:am the next morning I used MM 6000, 8000 and 12000 followed by Hut Plastic Polish. No Wax (yet).

Originally posted by Galanw
<br />I am really enjoying the Deft Waterborn Acrylic, and it seems to be very durable. I am not prepared to say (yet) that it is better than Enduro, but it is certainly as good. These two have been dipped, but I have also applied it on the lathe following the enduro procedure. All comments welcomed.

How long have you been using it? I notice that the Deft site does not recommend it for floors, they recommend the polyurethane for this use, indicating that poly would be the more durable finish for abrasion. I would think this would be important in a pen finish.

One advantage of the waterborne acrylic is that they say you can apply subsequent layers and they will melt into the previous finish - you could touch up a pen at a later date, I suppose.

Galanw

What attracted me to this finish was (i) I saw it at Woodcraft, and (ii) the lack of fumes (which is why I switched from CA to Enduro). I have only used it for 3 weeks, and I haven't tried walking on it yet.[:D]

Galanw

I don't know what the technical standard for curing is. But since I was able to use wet MM and plastic polish after 15 hours (and 12 hours probably would have been ok too), that's what I call cured.

I wonder how others define cured. Someone said the stuff I use takes 30 days to cure. Maybe it keeps getting harder for 30 days[?]

jtate

I've been using Deft clear brushing lacquer, using a dip method. I generally do nthree dips with two hours between each dip. I tryto leave it overnight before dismantling it and assembling the pen. I have had a coiuple of little chips in the edges in the dismantling process. (Just need to be more careful and cut a grove along the edge of the bushing.)

My question is - have you compared the Acrylic to Lacquer? What did you find, if so? And if not, what led you to choose the acrylic over the lacquer?

Thanks!

Oh, lovely pens, wish mine were that nice!

Julia

Galanw

Julia-

I gave up the Deft lacquer some time ago only because of the fumes, so I have no direct comparison using the dipping method.

Incidentally, I loosen the bushings after 1-2 hours of drying time before each dip and before the overnight curing time. That way I eliminated the cracking problem you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom