Water Slide Decal...help!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Need a little help please.

I printed some pics onto water slide decal paper (testors). After soaking in water for about 20 seconds, the ink came off. I used an ink jet printer and the decals have been dry for at least 8 days before attempting to put on the blank.
What happened?
Why did the ink come off?
Do i need to seal the ink before putting in water?
20150705_124821.jpg

20150705_125617.jpg

Harry

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

builtbybill

I believe that you have to spray them with a clear acrylic finish before soaking them in the water. I use the laser ones so I might be mistaken, but I am pretty sure they need to be coated first.

TBCbushings

You have to seal it... I use Krylon Crystal clear spray paint..It works great/ I let dry for a few and then apply and wait 24 hours before ca and turning...Hope this helps.
Brian

Skeleton2014

Yes, I too was horrified the first time I used Testor's and watched the inks just disentigrate before my eyes! Then I read the instructions! It's called Decal Bonder Spray (9200). I use the 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby. Spray a couple of light coats waiting about 15 minutes between then let it dry/cure at least 24 hours. After applying the decal to the tube, it's important to let it dry, again 24-48 hours is what I do. Then, I seal it with a couple of coats of Krylon Colormaster Acrylic Crystal Clear Spray. Important to let everything dry between steps as any water trapped under the decal will cause it to do weird things like separate when casting. I suppose you could use the Krylon Acrylic Spray in place of the Testor's Bonder Spray (it's only about a 3oz spray can). The one thing I learned is not to rush the steps... Let everything dry/cure, the longer the better (gee, do you think I can't emphasize that enough!).
Good luck, Jeff:biggrin:

Top Bottom