Walnut with inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ctEaglesc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have bought a lot of these kits from Fritz over the last year and a half but I have never made this pen as designed.

bloodwoodibloodwood%20inlay%20with%20holly%20cross.jpg

I decided to make it something a little special.

11204954_bloodwoodinlay%20with%20holly%20cross%202.jpg

My Dad died 32 years ago today and like the good Catolic he was he decided to go on All Saints Day.
A little information about the blank.
The inlay was done before the blank was drilled.I decided to see how accurate my drill press was.(Ryobi benchtop)I drilled it with no problems, a "V" block and a machinist vice.No stop block at the bottom of either one of the blank.I used no special treatment before gluing in the tubes(I didn't drizzle thin CA in the hole as I normally would.I did plug the tubes with parafin and put thick CA in the hole of the blank rather than on the tube only.From the time I cut the blank to putting it on the mandrel and start turning it was less than 20 minutes.
Actual width of the bloodwood inlay is.27" and the width(thicknes of the cross is .050"

Comments about the pen are welcome

Ron Mc

I don't see any seems! Thus, I don't think it was cut in half. Very well done. I like the way the cross has a backdrop with an additional color. It makes it stand out.
What other styles (if any) have you considered?

clewless

Your dad would have liked your work. Both the cross and the cathedral window.

Mom (now 91) has been religious all of her life. When I started making pens last year, I made a BOW just for her. Showed it to her with other pens, telling her about its connection to the Holy Land. It went right over her head and she picked out a simple slimline. All I could do was smile...[:)]

jaywood1207

Very nice inlay Eagle. Assuming you cut the blank in half and then glued back together how'd did you hide the seam so well. I have been playing with this idea for a while now and haven't figured that out yet but have found the darker woods hide it better. If my assumption is wrong on your method are you willing to share how you did this?

emackrell

Eagle, that's a beautiful pen, I'm betting your Dad is smiling at it and pointing it out to his friends.

And how DID you insert the inlay? Or have we all missed something?

cheers Eileen [8D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
It is an <b>inlay</b>. The blank is not cut in half, that is what an inlay is.You"lay" the piece "in".[:D]
There is a tutorial on the home page on how to do inlays.
I don't have that type of equipment so I used my woodworking skills attention to detail,precise measuring and this tool from Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38896

Skye

Dang man, that's great! That's some dang accuracy there [:0]

32 years, that's a long time. Years, days, some things are timeless.

DocStram

Well eagle, Dad would be proud that his pain in the butt son turned out to be a pretty darn good pen artisan. I followed your link in the hopes that the mystery would be unveiled. All I found was a $5.99 magnifying lens. Believe me when I tell you that it's gonna take more that that magnifying lens for me to ever replicate your work. HF doesn't sell skill or imagination.
Congratulations!

loglugger

Eagle, Very Nice! I think if you read close he said how he did that, but I have been known to be wrong once in a while. Lost my dad about that same time, sometimes it feels like yesterday and at others times it was a long time ago.
Bob

Snazzypens

Eagle if you do not mind what tool do you use to cut such fine work. I know you probably been asked this thousands of time. It is fascinating. also with inlays do you turn your pen first then do the inlay. or is that done before you begin turning?
Toni[:)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />I don't see any seems! Thus, I don't think it was cut in half. Very well done. I like the way the cross has a backdrop with an additional color. It makes it stand out.
What other styles (if any) have you considered?

Thanks for the compliment Ron.The color possibilities are endless and I am experimenting with different materials.
The beauty of this design is it can be put on just about any pen, from a lowly modified slimline to a Gent or Emporer and everything in between.It also could go in a Sierra style pen easily.
There is no need to take special drill precautions other than when you are drilling you need tp pay atention to the center of the inlay rather than the center of the blank.I take great pains to put the inlay parallel to the sides of the blank.
I believe anyone on the forum could turn this pen regardless of their skill level.(No special tools are necessary is necessay)
I sealed with CA after turning and sanding sealer while sanding.
As you can see I did not experience any color bleeding.
I finished with a water based lacquer, but any finish(or none) would look nice on this style of pen.
I plan to offer some for sale for the upcomming holiday season.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Okay, I was wrong. Apparently I didn't know how he did it, but I intend to try my method to see if it works.[;)]

And, THAT, my friends, is how BETTER (or, at least, different) techniques evolve!!!

Good Luck, Billy!!!!!!!!!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Eagle,

Didn't mean to slight your pen (but you know that).

I think the white on red was a good choice for the walnut, but, as you have suggested in our conversations, it would also be SUPER on a really black background, like blackwood or ebony (leaving cracking out of the conversation for the moment).

To all other turners, Eagle has been working on this concept for weeks. Even with his experience in creating "laminated" pens, he has overcome numerous obstacles. Trust me, no one else will do it the same way - which he now describes as "fairly easy and repeatable!"

If you value your time at more than 50 cents an hour, buy the blanks from HIM, it will be your most economical alternative.

(This is NOT a PAID political announcement!!)
Tho' he did send me a blank to prove any idiot [:eek:)][:eek:)]could turn it-will post soon. [:D][:D]

Any requests on pen style?? Thinking about cigar or baron or statesman. Suggestions welcome. (My blank is rosewood, if that helps make a decision)[:p][:p]

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />It is an <b>inlay</b>. The blank is not cut in half, that is what an inlay is.You"lay" the piece "in".[:D]
I don't have that type of equipment so I used my woodworking skills attention to detail,precise measuring and this tool from Harbor Freight
I bet you look cool in the shop with those on[:D], like amad scientist or something! Very nice as always, Eagle. I would be interested when you have some ready to sell. You said you just used adrill bit, did you drill it on an angle to get the oval, or is that why you needed the magnifier?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />
<br />It is an <b>inlay</b>. The blank is not cut in half, that is what an inlay is.You"lay" the piece "in".[:D]
I bet you look cool in the shop with those on[:D], like amad scientist or something! Very nice as always, Eagle. I would be interested when you have some ready to sell. You said you just used adrill bit, did you drill it on an angle to get the oval, or is that why you needed the magnifier?

When I said drill bit I was referring to prepping the blank for turning,i.e. drilling for the tube.
The blank has the inlay in it before it is cut for drilling on the DP.

Paul in OKC

OK. So the inlay pocket you did by hand, then. I understand doing that before turning, much easier to work with the flat sides than a rounded part I would think. One of these days......

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />OK. So the inlay pocket you did by hand, then. I understand doing that before turning, much easier to work with the flat sides than a rounded part I would think. One of these days......
I don't have the patience or skill to put the inlay in after it is turned.In some ways it would be nice in other ways it would be a headache.
These are made using woodworking tools available to anyone, it is the exactness of the cuts and the subtle differences that make each one uinque(as you will soon see).

Well Eagle, it turned out as great as I thought it would. The white background really causes the cross to stand out. I did not know the connection with your Dad while we were talking but you honor his memory well.

alamocdc

Originally posted by ed4copies
Any requests on pen style?? Thinking about cigar or baron or statesman. Suggestions welcome. (My blank is rosewood, if that helps make a decision)[:p][:p]

Ed, IMNSHO, with it being reosewood, I'd go with a Baron at the minimum. Either way, I can't wait to see it.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by pastorbill1952
<br />Well Eagle, it turned out as great as I thought it would. The <b>white background </b>really causes the cross to stand out. I did not know the connection with your Dad while we were talking but you honor his memory well.
Thanks for the comment and help with the color selection Pastor Bill.
I am a little worried the .The Background is supposed to appear Red.(bloodwood) and the cross is Holly, white.

TBone

Eagle,

That is beautiful work. Your father is proud. Mine has only been gone 2 years and it's still hard. Your imagination and techiniques make these posts very interesting to read as well as fantastic pictures to view. You sir are a skilled craftsman and an artist (covered both factions so that discussion won't startup again [:D])

chisel

<br />
<br />OK. So the inlay pocket you did by hand, then. I understand doing that before turning, much easier to work with the flat sides than a rounded part I would think. One of these days......
I don't have the patience or skill to put the inlay in after it is turned.In some ways it would be nice in other ways it would be a headache.
These are made using woodworking tools available to anyone, it is the exactness of the cuts and the subtle differences that make each one uinque(as you will soon see).

I am going to guess a drill press, a drill bit to start it, and a small cutting tool to finish out the pocket. The oval being used to mark the pattern on one side of the square blank.

Nice sentiment for your father.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I am going to guess a drill press, a drill bit to start it, and a small cutting tool to finish out the pocket. The oval being used to mark the pattern on one side of the square blank.

I am just guessing that you drilled at an angle to get the oval. Thats just my guess.

Either one of those methods could also work.( I think)

chisel

<br />

I am just guessing that you drilled at an angle to get the oval. Thats just my guess.

Either one of those methods could also work.( I think)

I don't think Johnny's idea will leave a flat bottom in the pocket. It may also tear out grain.

I have used those little dremel cutter/carver tools in my drill press before. They work quite nicely.

chisel

Originally posted by rtjw
<br />It actually looks like he drilled all the way through. I dont know.

I think that's natural grain pattern.

Maybe he will tell us.

Perhaps, but I do know my method will work, because I made one today very similar to his. I don't plan on turning it into a pen, I just wanted to see how long it would take to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom