Walnut with a twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Lynch

Dale Lynch

Along time ago I saw a pen made by Skip.The twisted design always stuck in the back of my mind.Years past and I never did anything with it...till now.

Walnut turned on twisted axis with a redheart accent and jr.gent 1 front section and cap insert.Partial tube in the lowerbody to keep the front section coupler in.
DSCF3573.jpg

DSCF3567.jpg

DSCF3569.jpg

DSCF3581.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very lovely !!! . I would like to know how that was done, if you feel like putting up a short description, please.

Dale Lynch

I learnd how to do the turning from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFdeOPG3iC0.I started with a 1.5" x 8",cut and drilled the cylinder.It had to be turned in one piece so I turned a double sided tenon and fit the cylinder back together for turning.Parting it off while on true center I found the drilled hole in the cap.*&^%.Decided on a redheart dome to fix.Looks better than it would have if i didn't screwup.The fittings are epoxied into place.

Last edited:

Krash

Very cool. I bet it feels good in the hand. I always liked pens/instruments that had an ergonomic design. For some reason, they just feel good. I'll have to watch that video and give it a try!

Dale Lynch

Thanks fellasI'm glad you like it.When turning it down I found that it is easier to turn in steps.Don't go all the way to size on the 1st and 2nd cuts,it leaves little support material for the 3rd cut and alot of vibration.I did it in 2 cycles through the point sets, made for much smoother cutting.

One thing I'd do differently would be to check the wall thickness as I went instead of trying to imagine a hole inside.

Krash,Here is a pic in hand to see what it looks like.

Attachments

• DSCF3582.jpg
    DSCF3582.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 128

jttheclockman

Dale that is pretty cool. You stepped outside your comfort zone and made something that unique. There seems many options with a design like that. Lends itself to some segmenting. Good job and thanks for showing.

Top Bottom