walnut burl by the ton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Just a quick note to say I am back, With the burl. I am really tired so will wait til tomorrow to post pics and comments. I will say you will be real happy. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Just one more tease for you. This is what a quarter ton of fun looks like for any woodworker.

2008327161423_Walnut%20slabs%20Joel%20resized.jpg

My son is 6 feet tall.

Notice how I carefully avoided showing any details of the grain in this photo. I would like to say that was a mistake.[}:)]

Good detailed photos coming up. I have 20 slabs to get through though.

Daniel

I will be starting a new thread on this group buy that will be in the interest of getting the burl sold.
I still have to get the buyers to agree on a price for the wood but for now I will post these pictures as examples of what to expect offered in that thread.
the ruler in all photos is 12 inches. the slabs run from 1-7/8 inches thick up to 3 inches thick. one other slab is over 7 inches thick.

I will start with the part I am most happy with. I managed to get 91 lbs of slabs that evey square inch is top notch grade A pen blank burl. this is an example of just one of them. this particular one is 12 lbs. 1 7/8 inches thick.

200832720441_Slab%2012%20resized.jpg

Now don't cry that only 91 lbs out of 500 looks like that. the next step down has areas just like the above but also has areas that are not quite as marbled. the figure in the grain becomes more spread out in areas of the slab, But will still make a top notch bottle stopper blank, really nice pen blank or even make a tool handle that would cause you to never use the tool again. This is a good example of these slabs. In this case the slab even has an area that is pretty poor in grain but in these slabs there really is not much of that.
I got 177 lbs of these.
2008327204754_Slab%2031%20resized.jpg

Next step down are slabs that have burl that will work very well for turnings just a bit larger in diameter than a pen. all of this will work well for bottle stopper blanks or any spindle turning of an inch or more. I have 106 lbs of these slabs
200832720534_Slab%2064%20resized.jpg

Finally are two slabs I picked to become peppermill blanks. they both have nice grain color and even some figure. but only on a scale that will work for a 2" diameter turning. in total there are 122 lbs and at an extimated 5 lbs for a blank there will only be enough for 24 blanks at best. both of these slabs are 3 inches thick so can make blanks for even the largest peppermills.
this slab is 60 lbs.
200832721114_Slab%2060%20resized.jpg

RogerGarrett

Daniel,

The rest of the members of the IAP know that I'm usually fairly conservative in my postings here - not much emotion.

I received my burl slabs today (about 20 lbs or so).

I gently planed and sanded this slightly wet wood so I could better see what it looked like. I'll try to post a picture of what I found under the imbedded shavings and band saw blade marks . But.....for now......

all I can say is.....

OH

MY

GAWD!!!![:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

Thanks for all of your hard work. Some of this is simply amazing.

Best,
Roger Garrett

Daniel

Thanks Roger, I love making people happy. I guess the group may have thought this idea had died by now. Well I have just been really busy e-mailing tons of stuff to those that took part in this, breaking my saw. and genreally hacking my way thorugh one of the most difficult group buys I have ever done. as it turns out I will end up with about 80 lbs of this wood to offer to the group. But it will be a while before that happens. It is all pretty wet and I have to get the rest of the group buy people there share first.

Daniel

I've been wrestling with myself about posting this. First this photo is a sample of the best of the best for the walnut burl. this is the edge of a slab I cut for John. It is 3 inches thick and 12 inches square. It was more luck than anything that I managed to get these two edges. as not all the wood looks like this, in fact a lot of the wood does not look this good,

200846123247_Walnut%20burl%20best%20grade.jpg

but I sort of Gawd myself when I saw it.

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by Daniel
I've been wrestling with myself about posting this. First this photo is a sample of the best of the best for the walnut burl. this is the edge of a slab I cut for John. It is 3 inches thick and 12 inches square. It was more luck than anything that I managed to get these two edges. as not all the wood looks like this, in fact a lot of the wood does not look this good, but I sort of Gawd myself when I saw it.

That does look pretty good. Here are two of the pieces I received. They weren't all this good, but that's what we knew going into it. The first photo is a slab that measures 2-3/4 inches thick and is 9 X 11 inches of usable wood. The second is just shy of 1-1/2 inches thick and is 4 X 9 inches. This represents about 1/2 of what I received.

200846135625_Walnut%20Burl%201rs.jpg

200846135638_Walnut%20Burl%202rs.jpg

I would be interested in getting more of this stuff if anyone has the desire to organize another group buy.

Best wishes,
Roger Garrett

Jarheaded

Thanks for posting that picture Daniel, now my brother knows that I have it and is looking through my shop for some reason. Poor guy doesn't know that I hid it in the attic to dry completely. At least he won't know it until he sees this post and then he is going to have a field day up there.
The wood that was sent to me is some of the nicest Walnut that I have seen, but you can see that by the picture.
Thanks for doing all this work and still continuing to work with a bandsaw that was giving you headaches. Most people would have said screw it and just took a chainsaw to it and sent it out in rough slabs, or at least that is what I would have done.[}:)] You have done a fantastic job with this buy and hopefully someday I will be able to return the favor for the load of work that you took on for the rest of us.
Thank you

Daniel

This sort of group buy has been contemplated many times in the past. And quickly abandoned due the obvious difficulties. Although we made it, it has not been the best managed group buy I have ever done. I want to publicly thank Serge Ron, John, and Eugene for there trust patience and generally putting up with me when I got tired, frustrated or otherwise wondered off the trail. I always learn a ton when I try a new way to do a bulk buy. hopefully I have learned enough from this one to smooth out a lot of bumps.
Just for the record here are a few things I learned.
1. although driving 13 hours to hand select the wood makes a fun trip, it also leaves you totally exhausted just when you have the hardest work to do. I would have the wood delivered next time.
2. Although I was extremely accountable every step of the way on this buy. I did that simply because it was a first time thing. Nobody could go to the time and effort I did on this buy with photos, decisions on how wood was divided, My advice would be to use a well established and trusted bulk buy manager and simply let them go to town.
3. no special requests, the wood really needs to be cut up to get divided evenly. at least cut everything to equal size pieces even if they are 3X3s or even larger. trying to divide whole slabs will hurt the brains of those that are only reading about it.
4. even if you have a really good saw, do not pick slabs thicker than 3" and even then expect some repairs to your saw. My repair costs have been about $1.00 per 10lbs. of wood so far and I have only cut up 40% of it.
5. clean your saw blade after every couple of cut in thick wood. You will quickly learn to hear when the blade needs cleaning. The gunk will build up fast on the side of the blade that is against the wheels. block guides might help keep this cut off. my bearing guides simply burned up from it. it will build up until the blade breaks.
6. letting the slabs dry would avoid a lot of repairs. It would also require a long wait. Even in my dry climate, to give you an idea of how dry it is here. Even cactus cannot grow here. think death valley dry.
7. expect postage to be about $1.00 per pound after the fact.
8. loss in weight do to waste and wood drying is about 20% (500 lbs of burl ended up being about 400lbs of usable wood or evaporated water. the loss do to drying is huge in my case. one slab went from 64lbs to 56 lbs in three days.

OK well that is my report for now. I have 100lbs of wood that I will be cutting up into blocks and posting for sale here at I.A.P. Give me a week or two to get it ready as I need a rest for a bit. I hope to show pictures of large pieces that you all can request what you want from it. I don't want to cut a bunch of pen blanks when someone would have bought it as stopper blanks or something else.

ElMostro

Daniel, my share arrived last night, opened the box to let it air out but since it was dark I did not have chance to look at it in detail but what I saw so far I like.
Daniel, thanks again for putting this together, Eugene.

Daniel

OK folks in case you didn't see it. I have started listed some of the burl in individual classifieds. I put it there because I cannot be sure if there will be a profit on this stuff at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom