Walmart Ice Tube Trays

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penturner63

Hi,
I was in Walmart today,and saw what they call Ice Tube Trays. They are hard plastic tubes to make ice in. I was woundring if they would work for casting.
They are open on top and bottom, with snap on caps to hold in the water.
Do you think the blank would come out or stick in the tubes. I have never casted before, and want to start slow and cheep. Thanks for the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rej19

Hi, I have no experience at all casting but at our Indiana group meeting this past weekend Jeff-in-Indiana did an excellent demo of PR casting. Jeff has done thousands of castings. He showed one of the exact Walmart Icemolds that you describe. I would say if he uses them they ought to work fine. I plan to give it a try after the holidays when I have a little more time!

sbell111

I've used them. They work fine for PR blanks, but not so well if you cast anything in them.

My first attempt at coffee bean blanks used these ice trays for molds. I had to basically chisel the PR out of the molds. The only thing I can think of is that since they were cast under pressure, the PR expended the mold slightly as it hardened, jamming itself in place.

penturner63

Ok,
Thank you for the info,but I have a dumb question.
I'm very new at this. What is the difference between
PR and casting? Thank you

rej19

They are 2 different things. PR is Poly Resin and casting is just the act of pouring the PR into molds. But one of the many things you can do is mix with the PR different materials. From as simple as dyes or paints for coloring, to coffee beans, shredded money, cereal, pine cones, snake skins, etc,etc,etc. I even saw one this weekend that had cow poop! So pouring PR into a opaque container that is vertical you will have no idea what the finished product will look like until its removed. The demo I saw this weekend used clear plastic tubes so you could see what the cast was going to look like. If you were to cast items in the PR you would want some way to make sure the material is evenly distributed in the PR. How you would do that would be determined by the material and what you where casting in. Again I have never done it so I am just going on what I have read and seen. I'm sure there is a lot of trial an error until you perfect your method. Help any?

papaturner

I`ve used them and they did fine. I actually used them to cast the arrow shafts in this pens.

Attachments

• IMG0042.JPG
    IMG0042.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 262

Daniel

Scott, Don't listen to these clowns. PR is what you do at work (Public Relations) Casting is what you do when you are not at work. Fly casting, Lure casting, Bait casting etc. Man what these fellas will not think of next.
I am just kidding.

penturner63

Thanks to all,
I'm gonna roll out in the morning and get the stuff to start. Looks like fun.
But....... COW POOP ?? THINK I'LL PASS ON THAT ONE !! Now one more question...
When you mix all that stuff with the PR, don't you get spots on the blank that are'nt covered with the PR ? I would think that would be a mess.

papaturner

Scott, I`m sorry but that is not a cast pen that I posted yesterday. :eek:This is the photo that I tried to post .......Sorry :biggrin: Yeah that`s the correct one.

Attachments

• IMG0031.JPG
    IMG0031.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 222
Top Bottom