Walking Cane Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chasper

Chasper

I got my first cane looking pretty good, it took some whittling and plenty of glue, I'm not sure it will hold.

Now I'm working on another and there must be a better way. Installing the connectors is what I'm having trouble with. Do I drill and tap both ends of the connectors? I have a tap for the ends that have standard machine threads, but the other ends of the connectors have wood threads, do I need to get a tap for that? Is there a trick (other than carefully eyeballing it) to make sure the tap is cutting perfectly square to the turning?

Also the handle is connected to the top turning with a tube about an inch long that is threaded on the inside, it is course threaded too. Do I need another tap for that.

Finally, when the connectors are screwed into the tapped holes they will need to be glued in won't they? Otherwise it might unscrew from the wood instead of between the connectors as intended.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

My experience is that if you don't tap the holes, then you run the risk of splitting the wood. There's already a lot of lateral force at the join, where the wood is thinnest. Adding the expanding force of the large screw just makes it worse.

I've taken to overboring the hole a little and fastening in the coupler with epoxy. I feel that it makes for a stronger joint. Gluing also helps me keep the parts inline and allows me to match the grain between the sections.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Top Bottom