Voids

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fatstrat

Hello,
Ive been having trouble filling voids lately and am looking for some advice. Ive tried the sanding with CA but even though im using thick, it hardens before doing any good. Seems that the friction is causing it to set very quickly. Ive also tried using CA gel by itself with the lathe off and using a cloth to get it into the voids, but still isnt quite right. Can i wet sand with an epoxy to fill voids? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Fat,

What I do is use 400 grit sandpaper and work up some good sanding dust with my dust collector off. With the lathe running as slowly as possible and the sand paper still in contact with the blank, I drip thin CA on the blank from above and sand the slurry into the blank.

Any way you try to fill voids, I would use thin CA rather than thick or gel CA.

FWIW,

IPD_Mrs

Fat,

What I do is use 400 grit sandpaper and work up some good sanding dust with my dust collector off. With the lathe running as slowly as possible and the sand paper still in contact with the blank, I drip thin CA on the blank from above and sand the slurry into the blank.

Any way you try to fill voids, I would use thin CA rather than thick or gel CA.

FWIW,

Absolutely! Also depending on the size of the void sometimes I don't even fill them or slurry them as they will get a bit of the sanding dust in them naturally at the end and some voids look fine as a natural part of the wood. If the are "large" voids you might want to consider mineral fills as well.

Mrs.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
You didn't say what grit sand paper you are using. It has to be a coarse git to cut through the CA to make the slurry that fills the wood. If you aren't getting wood dust on the sandpaper, either the paper is too fine or the glue is too thick.

Wet sanding with CA glue works best with 120-grit sadpaper and Medium CA. You can get by with 150-grit, but anything finer doesn't cut through the CA to make the slurry that fills the voids. You might have to use 80 ior 100 grits with the Thick CA to cut through it.

Top Bottom