Vintage Razor Help Needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from builtbybill

builtbybill

So, I decided that it was time to try and make a shaving set. Rather than purchasing one of the kits I opted to purchase a vintage Gillette DE safety razor (link) but now I need help locating a couple of items. The model that I purchased has a solid one piece handle, rather than using a coupler and an end cap. I know that I can figure out a way to make a one piece handle but I would much rather have a handle that has a threaded rod running through it with an end cap and a coupler to attach it to the shaving head.

If anyone knows where I can buy just the coupler and/or the end cap could you please point me in that direction, I really do not want to buy a whole razor kit just to get those 2 pieces.

Thanks,

Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I'm thinking .... the safety razor kit from PSI would fit the bill, but you'ld still end up with a spare razor head... but my thinking on this matter is that your gillette razor head may not fit the PSI branded version.

If that's the case, you'ld still be able to complete a razor kit ...

Some things to think about:

If the PSI's head coupler's threaded female end (for the razor head) is too large .... fill in with epoxy, drill and tap... done!

If the PSI's head coupler's threaded female end matches the gillette head ... you're good to go!

If the PSI's head coupler's threaded female end is too small ... drill and tap (or go with the PSI version)

Now, on the other side of the head coupler and the end cap, you"ll still need to possibly drill and definitely tap for that threaded rod that you want, but I don't really see the reasoning for it ...

I have a PSI safety razor made with Cocobolo ... I love that razor. It doesn't clog nearly as bad when I'm shaving a thick beard. It rinses clean quickly, and if I need to go back and touch up, the cartridge razor is still on the wall. It has ends that are pressed into the brass tube, just like a pen kit. It's quite sturdy and has held up for me more than a month already with no issues, even being stored in a bathroom, what with all the dampness.

pfbarney

I wonder if you could cut that short handle in half and turn down the knurled handle portion to make a tenon you could epoxy in both ends of your turned handle. It would probably make your handle fairly slim at the top and bottom, but it may work.

pfbarney

The Golden Nib sells their Parker Double Edge Head Bottom Trim Piece which uses coarse threads to screw into your handle, but unless I'm mistaken, the female threads should be able to receive your Gillette head. If you can wait a few hours, I will check later today as I have that exact Gillette and a couple of the Parker kits from the Golden Nib at home.

It still won't give you the end cap, but you could always just make it a "closed end" handle.

builtbybill

Thanks for all of the replies, I will contact TGN and see if they sell just the couplers and end pieces, if not I will just make a solid handle and put some sort of threaded insert into one end to attach to the head.

Top Bottom